View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 am 
Currently I have two tuners just hooked into the cable lines of my master backend. Yesterday I got an extra little black cable box from Comcast so I could hook one tuner to it. I have Tuner 1 still hooked into the cable line and hooked up Tuner 2 to the cable box. Ive got video and audio no problem through the cable box I am just having issues getting the blaster to change channels.

My tuners are both PVR-150's (non MCE) so I want to use the the IR blaster on the card. I have gone into Service -> LinHes Config -> Remotes and set everything to the PVR-150 remote and blaster. When trying to change channels through one of my frontends its not going. I'm assuming I have to custom change some files? The Blaster is hooked into Tuner 2

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:09 am 
Is the blaster working at all? You mention that you can't change channels through one of the frontends, does that mean you can change them on a different frontend?

I have a single PVR-150 hooked up to both an analog tuner and composite (cable box). My "remote" setting in the Service Menu is "hauppauge-blaster" and the Receiver is "Hauppauge"; blaster is "pvr150".

Have you tried using the "change_chan.sh" scripts to change channels manually? That way you could at least tell if your blaster is set up correctly.

IIRC, when I set up my blaster I did have to fiddle with my lircd.conf, but I am also using the Comcast universal remote instead of the Hauppauge silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:47 pm 
I just tried both frontends with no success.

Here is what I have in my /etc/lircd.conf

Code:
include "/usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/hauppauge-blaster/lircd.conf"
include "/usr/MythVantage/templates/transmit/motorola_dct700/lircd.conf"

Here is my /usr/bin/change_chan.sh file

Code:
#!/bin/sh
REMOTE_NAME=DCT2524
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 0.4 # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a bit
done
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME ok/select

When I run /usr/bin/change_chan.sh 30 I get this:
Code:
irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE DCT2524 3
irsend:transmission failed
irsend:command failed: SEND_ONCE DCT2524 0
irsend:command failed: SEND_ONCE DCT2524 ok/select

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm 
So the /etc/lircd.conf file is basically just a placeholder; it's including the information from the two files listed. I'm guessing the first file (in the hauppauge-blaster directory) is for the remote control functions, while the second file is for the cable box functions.

As you can see, it's set up for a Motorola DCT-700 cable box - is that what you have?

If not, you'll have to modify your /etc/lircd.conf to point to the right file. For instance, I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100, so I would modify the second include to point to the lircd.conf in the sciatl_exp2xxx_3xxx_4xxx directory. (At least, I think so - when I was fussing with my universal remote, I just stuck everything in a single custom lircd.conf). I'm not sure if there's a more "official" way to select your cable box... hopefully someone will chime in if they know.

Here's where I get a little fuzzy... I think you would also have to modify your change_chan.sh script, and modify the REMOTE_NAME value to be whatever your "remote name" (actually cable box name) is in the appropriate lircd.conf

So when the change_chan.sh script is run, it uses the REMOTE_NAME to find the appropriate section in your lircd.conf, and sends the codes listed there.

My change_chan.sh script has REMOTE_NAME=SA2100, and my lircd.conf has a "remote" section with "name SA2100" followed by the codes.

When I do the following:
Code:
irsend SEND_ONCE SA2100 POWER

My cable box will turn off or on. I can also do all the other normal functions, changing channels, volume, etc. Once you get irsend working, things should pretty much be good to go.

One more caveat - I don't have a /dev/lircd1, just /dev/lirc, /dev/lirc0, and /dev/lircd - but maybe this is because you have two tuner cards...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:05 pm 
checking here:
http://linhes.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/LinHES- ... lircd.conf
It appears that the name of the remote specified in his lircd.conf is indeed DCT2524, so that is not the problem.

What happens if you try a single irsend from the command line:
Code:
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE DCT2524 ok/select

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:17 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
What happens if you try a single irsend from the command line:
Code:
irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE DCT2524 ok/select

I got the error
irsend:command failed:
irsend:transmission failed:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:29 pm 
What about using the other lircd sockets that you have?
Code:
ls -la /dev/lircd*
P.S. I dont know how to get this working. I'm just suggesting the things I would try.
I might also try plugging the blaster into your other card (although I suspect that the software wouldn't know if you had a blaster connected or not, so the fact that you are seeing an error suggests some other problem).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:08 pm 
Ok. This morning I reinstalled the whole backend so everything is fresh.

In /etc/lircd.conf I have:
Code:
include "/usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/hauppauge-blaster/lircd.conf"
include "/usr/MythVantage/templates/transmit/motorola_dct700/lircd.conf"

In IR settings of /etc/systemconfig I have:
Code:
#IR settings
Remotetype="hauppauge-blaster"
ReceiverType="Hauppauge"
HostLircWait=""
ReceiverSerialport=""
HostTransmitproto_1=""
HostTransmitproto_2=""
HostTransmitproto_3=""
HostTransmitproto_4=""
HostBlasterType="pvr150"
HostSerialPort_blasterlirc=""
Hostnumblaster="1"
rootSSH="0"

Doing ls -la /dev/lircd* gives me:
Code:
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 2009-08-16 17:53 /dev/lircd
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 2009-08-16 17:53 /dev/lircd1

Ive tried sending "irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE DCT2524 2" from the command line using both lircd and lircd1 and get
Code:
irsend:command failed: SEND_ONCE DCT2524 2
irsend:transmission failed:

The remote name is correct for what is listed in the lircd for the dct700. I am just completely stuck on what could be causing an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm 
Posting the output of
Code:
dmesg | grep lirc

after you try an irsend might give some hints...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:32 pm 
I remembered something - when I was setting up my PVR-150 with IR blaster, I ran across a post here which has this critical note:
Quote:
You need to configure lircd, and find out which codeset you are going to be using. The easiest way is to start with this configuration file which contains key definitions for everything in the database. Do not use other lirc configuration files for specific STBs — these simply will not work. The IR chip is only capable of sending those codes which are in the database.

Now that post is over three years old, so maybe things have changed since then - but I used the codes from that special lircd.conf and my PVR-150 blaster is working.
A quick look at my lircd.conf codes reveals that they look nothing like the pre-packaged lircd.conf codes for my set top box that come with LinHES. I basically followed that post from steps 7 onward, though a lot of it isn't necessary (e.g. you already have a change channel script).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:16 am 
That was the key langelgjm. The file from that post seems to be already included. Its in /usr/MythVantage/templates/remotes/hauppauge-blaster/lircd.conf

I ran that power_send script that cycles through all the power codes until it found the one that turned off the cable box. After finding the right codes I just deleted everything else and put the working ones into there own lircd.conf and had the system look to use that file instead. Now the backend is changing the channels on the cable box.

Thanks for everyone's help.