View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:02 pm 
Just saw this story on Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/20 ... er-pcs.ars

While right now it appears to be Windows specific, hopefully this means that in the future we can get cable card working with MythTV. I'd rather not have to pay the cable company for HD channels like Discovery and SyFy, but if I did pay for it I'd want to be able to record it to my MythTV...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:07 pm 
Just saw that myself. At least we are one step closer.

This should at least bring the cost of cable card enabled PC tuners down to a more reasonable level and allow more players into the hardware market than just ATI.

My wallet is out and ready for SiliconDust to offer up a dual CableCard HDHomerun! Of course it would need to work in Myth and I fear that will be the problem.

Still, one step closer is not a bad thing.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 pm 
Forget it. It'll never happen on Linux.

You can't get cablecards anymore anyway. Try to find a current TV set that even supports cablecards -- you won't find any. The industry has quietly designed them out of TV sets so you need to rent your boxes from Comcrap et. al. I know people who tried and failed to get cablecards working in their Tivos. The tech just doesn't work and the cable companies have no interest in fixing it. It's all for show.

Face it, it's a rigged game and our "ref", the FCC, is sitting on the sidelines letting the industry do pretty much anything it wants. Your only resource is the Hauppage HD-PVR and even it is a temporary solution (until the industry turns off HDTV at the analog ports).

Gee, do I sound bitter?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:11 am 
Liv2Code,

I'm more or less inclined to agree however the tie in to OEM hardware was eventually broken so that DIY hardware could be used with the ATI cablecard tuners but, as you say, cablecard is 99.9% dead and by the time it could work with Myth it probably won't matter.

This is the first "step" in the right direction that I've ever seen, even if it is all for show.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:09 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I know people who tried and failed to get cablecards working in their Tivos. The tech just doesn't work and the cable companies have no interest in fixing it. It's all for show.

<mihanson glances at the EIGHT HD TiVO XL's at his place of employment each with a multi-stream cable card and shrugs>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:14 am 
Oh, so Mike wants to go all anecdotal on my ass? :twisted:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/103212.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-5581176-1.html

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002768.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759415

Hey, I can keep this up all day! Google is MY friend, not yours!

:P

P.S. Besides, I refuse to let a perfectly good RANT be undermined by something as irrelevant as a fact!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:38 am 
My theory is that content providers were never happy about their customers being able to record anything. They opposed the VCR from the beginning; the concept had to go all the way to the Supreme Court before it was vindicated.

25 years later content providers still feel the same way, and they are very glad technology has progressed enough that, along with special licensing schemes and anti-circumvention laws, they can make it effectively impossible, and definitely illegal, for modern day customers to have a "VCR" that keeps pace with technology.