View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:49 am 
Did you get your new Nvidia 9500 card yet? I'm pretty sure VDPAU won't work with the onboard video you described.

Re: "blurring"--try different deinterlacing settings (in playback profiles).

Re: which playback profile -- try some and see what your results are. My guess is CPU+ would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 am 
Yeah, I have the new card, that's what I meant in my last post when I said "Okay, I've got the new card installed." :wink:

I have tried different profiles and I think I am using CPU+. Should I modify the deinterlace settings to use 2CPU cores since I have a dual core processor??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:03 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
Yeah, I have the new card, that's what I meant in my last post when I said "Okay, I've got the new card installed." :wink:

D'oh! Sorry about that.

OK, I just checked. My backend/frontend machine (not running R6 yet) is an Athlon X2 BE-2350 which is equivalent to something around a 3800+ to 4000+. I think. Anyhow, it's using CPU++ as the playback profile. The interlacing is Bob 2X -- I'm not sure if I changed that from the default CPU++ profile.

Your complaint is one of "blurriness" of playback which usually means an interlacing issue. Note that this should only come up when watching (a) an interlaced recording (i.e. 480i or 1080i, NOT 720p) and ONLY when (b) you're watching something that wasn't shot at 24fps (i.e. film or video as film). So live events, sports, news tickers, news shows, things like that won't have that video look without adequate deinterlacing.

If what you're seeing is something else, maybe interlacing is barking up the wrong tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 am 
kmkittre - You might take a look through this post of mine, I was noticing some jitteryness on some recordings and it ended up being that I was using the bob2x de-interlacer that was the default for me.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I'm still rather new at figuring out all of these settings - how do you set the de-interlacers to use 2cpu cores (I've got a core 2 duo)?

Also, quick q about the nvidia drivers in general. I have a 7600GS and R6 install picked the 96.43.09 driver for me. I noticed that nvidia.com has a 96.43.13, so should I try to move to that? Or I think my card is still new enough that it should work with the 185.18.36 - should I try upgrading to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 pm 
Thanks segamifo. I'll play with the deinterlacers. I'm waiting for the next episode of The Office to record because I noticed the problem the most on that show and I deleted the last recording...

As far as drivers go, I'm not sure what your card supports. For me, it wasn't a big deal to modify the drivers. I just accessed my frontend via ssh and did it all that way. I did have to remove the old ones before I installed the new ones. All done via pacman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
segamifo wrote:
Also, quick q about the nvidia drivers in general. I have a 7600GS and R6 install picked the 96.43.09 driver for me. I noticed that nvidia.com has a 96.43.13, so should I try to move to that? Or I think my card is still new enough that it should work with the 185.18.36 - should I try upgrading to that?

The later. (185.18.36...) Your 7600GS should be supported by that, and it should give you better results.

There is an issue I encountered with the X config script where it tends to use the old drivers more often than it should. The flyspray ticket is: http://linhes.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=514

Go to page Previous  1, 2