View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 upgrade protocol?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 pm 
Since R6/LinHES is finally out, I'll probably try an upgrade this weekend (an earlier version failed so I've been happily waiting).

My question is: since they've moved to a distro that people can live update, are there still going to be official 'releases' like there have been in the past?

Or -- are all changes incremental and we're expected to run the upgrade command occasionally? How is this going to be managed? Is there some sort of daily 'Release Notes' somewhere that shows the changes you'll get if you upgrade at any given time?

No criticism intended or implied here - curiosity. Most of my experiences with not having well defined releases have been spotty at best because you're not sure what you're getting at any given point in time...

cheers - j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 am 
R6 is out? <checks main page> Ah so it is... odd there was no announcement made in the forums. Well congrats on the release!

Sorry this is not on topic, I was just too surprised...

Post subject: Re: R6 upgrade protocol?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:33 pm 
jayb282 wrote:
How is this going to be managed? Is there some sort of daily 'Release Notes' somewhere that shows the changes you'll get if you upgrade at any given time?
Its all out in the open now. Check this link out: http://linhes.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/LinHES-PKGBUILD/log/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:23 am 
How do you read that?

How do you know the difference between patches? Right now, there's stuff in the log that says it's only 9hrs old and the last time I ran Pacman -Syu was on 9/27. When I run it now, it says I am up to date but the log you link to says there's been updates in the past 9 days...

So, I know I'm reading it wrong, can anyone shed some light on how that log should be read? What should I look for to know I should update? And, where are the notes on what's been updated? All that stuff just looks like code to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:04 pm 
Hmmm... are your pacman servers pointed to testing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
How do you know the difference between patches? Right now, there's stuff in the log that says it's only 9hrs old and the last time I ran Pacman -Syu was on 9/27. When I run it now, it says I am up to date but the log you link to says there's been updates in the past 9 days...

You most likely do not have the affected (effected?) updated software on your system. Like most linux distros, there is software in the repos that are not included when you install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:19 pm 
mihanson wrote:
You most likely do not have the affected (effected?) updated software on your system.

You're right with the first spelling.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:47 pm 
I'm not yet running R6, so I'm also curious. Any answers to the original question, i.e. how will future updates work? In particular, will there be a method for only getting "stable", tested updates and not "beta", semi-tested updates?

Generally speaking, should non-beta, non-tester folks like me simply hold off on trying to migrate to LinHES until the complete, step-by-step upgrade instructions (and the tjc guide) come out? (Will the Pamphlet change, or will it be a separate document altogether?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:33 pm 
@stupid - the logical model is to maintain two servers, stable and testing. Updating will be as simple as pacman -Syu which should only pull packages from the stable server. Those wishing to run the testing stuff can point their systems to the testing servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:13 pm 
I'd still like to know, is there somewhere where the devs will be posting notes on what changes with the updates? For instance, Cecil recently posted changes to libjpeg and mpegtools. I'd like to know if this fixed a bug, or is just a patch to bring us up to more current software, or has new features, etc. Is there someplace this is being posted? Because I don't see it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:22 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
I'd still like to know, is there somewhere where the devs will be posting notes on what changes with the updates? For instance, Cecil recently posted changes to libjpeg and mpegtools. I'd like to know if this fixed a bug, or is just a patch to bring us up to more current software, or has new features, etc. Is there someplace this is being posted? Because I don't see it right now.

This a problem with Arch in general. See, http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70557

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 pm 
So those changes that Cecil posted were from Arch, not LinHES specific stuff?

Also, I find it odd that these libraries installed on my backend, but not my frontend. Does it make sense that libjpeg and mpegtools would only be needed on a backend and not a frontend-only machine?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. My main concern is to be aware of what is being changed and how that will impact my boxes so that if I do have any problems I know where to start looking.

Also, if new features are added, I would like to exploit them ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:23 pm 
kmkittre wrote:
So those changes that Cecil posted were from Arch, not LinHES specific stuff?

No, my point in posting that is that LH is based on Arch, (uses pacman and its repo structure) and as such will likely have the same gaps as Arch does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm 
Isn't this more an issue with git than with Arch? Shouldn't the package manager provide a place for patch notes?