View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: uptime wars
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 am 
So Monday was a bit of a sad day for me when I came home to find that my R5.5 box had failed to change channels on the STB for recent recordings. As in the past, the cause was a hung lircd process that couldn't be killed (even with -9), so my only recourse was a reboot.

The reason it was a bit sad is that at time of reboot uptime showed 101 days ~20 minutes. I thought that was pretty damn good, considering all the things that system is asked to do. Of course the backend didn't stay up that whole time but even when something went wrong the system stayed stable.

Anyhow that got me wondering what kind of uptime everyone else gets from their KnoppMyth/LinHES systems? Just for fun of course. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 pm 
I have never seen my Lircd process hang.
Until recently my Backend had been running for 120 or so days.
I have 45 minutes of UPS backup on my MBE that rides over most power issues I have out here. in June I had a 4 hr outage and had to restart, the last time I had one that long was last Dec or so.

there are a couple of issues with R5.5 I have noticed lately.

1) is documented and I put an X restart (pkill -xinit) in Cron for. They run weekly. The indication I see is my base memory utilization continues to increase (memory leak). I didn't have any problem with this over that first 120 days or so until July of this year.

2) lately I have had twice or more where I tried to delete a file that had been recorded or even comm flagged on another machine and that particular machine is down for whatever reason. I see an nfsd process that seems to hang on the mbe. I had to restart for the last one here recently.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:59 pm 
On my old R5 backend it ran on UPS without being touched for six months if not more. It was an old Dell P4 2.0GHz with a gig of ram Intel 845 chipset onboard nic and on board video. It couldn't play back shows and sat with loads above 5 much of the time as I had two tuners with transcoding and commercial skipping running. It was rock solid until I moved and then upgraded to newer hardware. It had no LIRC of course. The FE systems locked up all the time but whatever it was about a system that never ran a frontend or whatever it was rock solid.

My current R6 install (not upgraded yet) has been up for 68 days. It is a combo frontend and backed system vs my old setup. After the next upgrade I can't imagine I won't see uptime beyond 100 days. I love Cecil and the rest of the developers here they TEST stuff. Their beta releases are more stable than many two year old production systems!