View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:10 am 
Hi,

I'm having an odd problem with playback of HD content (720p). My mythbox until relatively recently been SD DVB-T only - two Nova-T cards.

I added a Nova-S card to enable me to get some HD channels (well, just BBC HD really), which I achieved quite easily. I much prefer the picture quality of HD but there are some little issues I need to resolve as theyt can spoil the enjoyment of a show I'm watching.

My Mythbox is powerful enough to play the 720p HD recordings back and I've played 1080p content back fine too - no problem there.

The first part of this problem is the HD programmes 'jump back' at odd intervals for a random amount, for example 1 minute, 3.02 minutes or whatever. Then the programme will carry on playing fine. It then will continue past the point it jumped back from. I would say ruling out mis-identified advert break - and that tends to only jump the programme forward. This has not happened on any other HD content I've on my system, only HD recordings from the Nova-S.

The other issues relate to the length of the program as shown by the OSD. The OSD reports the recording is twice as long as it actually is. For example, I pull up the OSD. I get all the details and summery about the programme, with it's start and finish time, which could be 8.00 to 9.00 for an hour long show. However the seeker reports the actual length of the programme to be 2 hours.

Equally frustrating is I am no longer able to skip forward or backards on the HD recordings easily. As I'm still unable to get my remote to work I'm using a wireless keyboard, so the left right cursors do next to nothing while the up down cursor keys allow small increments of movement within the show.

What needs changing?

Due to the larger strain of HD streams I've tried to get vdpau working (seems to be, but not sure I have done it correctly). I've also tried modifying the playback profiles to see if that will effect any change. It hasn't so far.

The recordings I continue to make using the DVB-T cards still work fine, show the correct length of programme and are seekable.

Many thanks.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:51 am 
I haven't seen the jump back feature, but I am accustomed to recordings misrepresenting their actual times.

My HD recordings (all ATSC OTA) regularly report around 52 minutes for a one hour recording. I've been told its because some content (commercials) switch rates and the facility that counts time doesn't know how to track this.

Since you're getting more of a 100% error, your problem could be unrelated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 pm 
I've seen a similar issue of playback jumping around.
For me, the issue was my wireless keyboard. It's an RF keyboard with trackball and PS/2 interface.

Replacing the batteries didn't help.

Once I disconnected my wireless keyboard, my problems went away.

I rarely need an attached keyboard so I don't miss it.

2GB RAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:12 am 
Hi Jimdoc,
Interesting... I wonder how having a wireless keyboard would make that happen. Intuition tells me that how the keyboard plugs in shouldn't make any difference, but you may be right. I do have a wireless keyboard, but that's staying until I can get my ir remote working. When I do, I'll try it out :D
Thanks for the reply
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:16 pm 
Chris

I would think if your wireless keyboard was the problem, then it would be consistent and then you would have problem with SD and HD. Since your :cry: is HD only, I would think that the more likely the isssue would be in here

Nova-S problems or BBCHD changing FPS or Mythtv Bugs

Things to try

View one of the programs in something like VLC or Xine and see if you still have issues

Try recording a on a different HD channel and see if you have issues.

Try a different HD card

This way you can narrow it down a little since your already have a good computer.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:50 am 
I'm sure that my problem was a wireless keyboard that went bad. It was working without problem for quite a while. Then at some point, problems.

My system is ATSC only (lots of HD, some SD).

I can't see a keyboard causing a problem in HD but not in SD.

2GB RAM