View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:45 pm 
One of my ATI Remote Wonders finally went out on me. Its been a while since I have had to buy a remote control supported by LinHES. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to go an infrared remote control because the ATI remotes are radio and get picked up on the other remote's receiver :(.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:02 am 
Get a Streamzap Remote. Works out of box in Knoppmyth / LinHES. I have two of them and they work great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:45 pm 
If you are just looking for a remote for Myth, I like the Microsoft remote for media center (A9O-00007). It works out of the box, is IR, and is slightly programable so that you can use it to raise and lower the volume of the TV and turn the TV on and off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:09 pm 
Both of these appear to use usb receivers. I thought I saw somewhere that usb devices were resource hogs. Have you seen any evidence of this? Would a serial port receiver be better or worse?

Do you know if you can use these receivers with other remotes if you modify your lircrc and lircd.conf appropriately?
Thanks.

Last edited by jzigmyth on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
Both of these appear to use usb receivers. I thought I saw somewhere that usb devices were resource hogs. Have you seen any evidence of this? Would a serial port receiver be better or worse?

While a USB receiver probably will use more resources than serial I don't think you will ever see a "real world" difference in performance. I know I didn't when I switched from my homebrew serial receiver to the StreamZap receiver. The only difference now it that it "just works"!

jzigmyth wrote:
Do you know if you can use these receivers with other remotes if you modify your lircrc and lircd.conf appopriately?
Thanks.

Absoluetly!!! I've never even put batteries in my StreamZap remote. I have a custom lircd.conf for the Onkyo remote that came with my stereo and just use the CD/DVD buttons on my remote to control my Myth box as it has replaced both my CD and DVD players. Obviously I had to tweak my lircrc to work with my remote as well.

Maritan

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 pm 
Does the IR transmitter for the A9O-00007 work too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:02 pm 
Martian wrote:
jzigmyth wrote:

While a USB receiver probably will use more resources than serial I don't think you will ever see a "real world" difference in performance. I know I didn't when I switched from my homebrew serial receiver to the StreamZap receiver. The only difference now it that it "just works"!

I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference as (from my vague memory) the cpu has to poll the serial port constantly to pickup the signals from the ir receiver regardless of whether anything is being received. Which as I understand it is the same complaint made against usb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:28 am 
I will second the streamzap remote. I've been using it on my atom based frontend and it was painless to install and completely reliable. The streamzap receiver and remote are fully supported by R6.

I have also found a simple multi-device programable remote that supports the streamzap IR protocol. The "One For All URC 10820 10 Device Learning Universal Remote Control" is inexpensive, about $17 on Amazon, and controls all my entertainment components including mythtv with the stock lircd.conf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 am 
I just retired one of my streamzap remotes this weekend. I have been quite happy with it for a few years now, but...

It was not capable of waking my Revo frontend from S3 suspend. I switched to a microsoft MCE media center remote which seems to be as good as the streamzap with the extra ability to wake up my system when I push the power button. I also like the glowing keypad for use in the dark. I set up the blaster part of the MCE remote to turn off my TV when it goes into suspend and turn the TV back on and lower the TV's speaker volume with resume. I got mine on Ebay for around 30 with shipping. I think I can hook up a second blaster if I needed to.

The added bonus is that my wife and kids think its funny to be using a Microsoft product to control the myth box.

FE: Linhes 8.4, Mythbuntu, Linux Mint DE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 pm 
rsay I am seriously looking at one of those MCE remotes. Does it have full IR Blaster capabilities? Can I use it to turn on and change the channels of my Cable Box for recording off of the box?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 pm 
I use a homebrew IR receiver and a Logitech Harmony remote. Works great, but it's good to know there's a usb receiver alternative if I find a mobo that's perfect in every way except it doesn't have a serial port or header...

One advantage of the homebrew, though, is that I was able to incorporate the IR receiver into my case:
http://www.screencast.com/users/transma ... 4dc6e43b20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:31 pm 
I bought a streamzap remote after it's glowing review and " it just works" suggestion.
Mine doesn't just work out of the box. Now I'm going to spend a couple of hours pouring over the forums trying to find out why it doesn't work. Why can't anything be easy in Linux!!!!

Edit: at 12:59 PM IRW is seeing the remote however the frontend is not reacting.

Edit: at 1:10 I changed the batteries and restarted the computer and now it works. WOOOO HOOOOOO

For the record it wasn't Linux's fault this time it was mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
NOPE wrong again for some reason streamzap remote has screwed up my happuage pvr-150. Some setting somewhere has changed because now I have my Happauge tuner set up live tv doesn't work and nothing gets recorded. GRRRRRRRRRRR.!!!!!
anywho topic for a new thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm 
mattbatt,

The microsoft MCE media center remote does have irblaster capability. I have mine set up to turn off my tv when I suspend and to turn the tv back on and mute the TV's built in sound, when the system wakes up. It could just as easily run a cable box.

In fact, I think the MCE remote can run two irblasters at the same time. I fear that it would take me quite a while to figure out how to configure the software for the second one, but the hardware is capable. As it was, it took me quite a while to record all the codes from my TV's remote, but now its pretty cool to be able to send any of the remote buttons from a script. It is much easier if your TV or cable box already has a lirc profile that you can just drop into place, but the tv where I have this particular frontend is sort of old.

FE: Linhes 8.4, Mythbuntu, Linux Mint DE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm 
Thank you Rsay!

BTW I know you all were waiting with bated breath I fixed my MythBox and here is how. http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 211#125211

I should have gotten the MCE remote maybe I still will. Anyone interested in buying a gently used streamzap remote and reciever? $15 plus whatever shipping costs.

Go to page 1, 2  Next