View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm 
Sorry I didn;t hhave time to search, but my myth box (runs both ends) has been woirking fine so I doint mess with it but I was about to build a FreeNas server and thought if I could get the backend to store my pc backups as well as serve my media then I could skip FreeNas and even add another frontend in the living room.

So Will myth also work as a simpole NAS to backup my windows pc's? i dont see why not but would like verification.

Thanks.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm 
It's not difficult to set up Samba under LinHES in order to set up Windows shares. I see no reason why you couldn't create a "backup" folder on your Myth box and share it to your Windows PC(s) to store backups.

That said, media PC hard drives take some pretty serious abuse and probably aren't the "best" choice for backup media but would be light years ahead of no backup at all!

My personal solution is a Linux PC with two drives in a mirrored raid 1 array which serves as my file server / NAS for backups of my Windows desktop and laptop as well as anything on my Myth box that I don't want to loose. The really, really important stuff (mainly picture) gets burnt to two DVDs. One goes in the lock box and one sits on a shelf in my office to serve as off site storage.

I've often thought of combining my file server and Myth backend but always came to the conclusion that, while very similar, they serve different purposes.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:24 pm 
You could always put in a second hard drive that is only used for your backups and not for /myth TV recordings. This would avoid the abuse on the backup drive while still allowing you to use your backend for dual purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm 
Two 1TB drives should be here soon. They will be mirrored as I plan on recording my wife soaps and heaven forbid should I loose an episode! LOL

Backups would be sheduled for when no recording is going on and a/v & spyware scans are done ~4am

Thanks everyone! This is good news :)
Now I can build a small frontend for the living room <sweet!>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:42 pm 
popatim wrote:
Backups would be sheduled for when no recording is going on and a/v & spyware scans are done ~4am

A/V and spyware on Linux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 pm 
meaning that the backups wouldn't be running at the same times as the A/V scan on the windows pc's. Sorry for the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:16 pm 
I have done this with my backend/frontend. I started using a second hard drive with mount points for music and video in order to leave the first drive for recordings. As I have upgraded the box several times, I decided that since it is on 24 hr/d and I have space on the second drive, I might as well use it to backup.

When my wife was using XP I used Deltacopy to backup her data on a daily schedule to a samba share. When she switched to Ubuntu, I used a cron script and rsnapshot to backup her data using a nfs share. It works great except the nfs server in R6 crashes and I am going back to using a samba share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:03 pm 
Samba is faster in my experience as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm 
thanks for the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 am 
R6 is verified to run fine under VirtualBox virtualization. You could run LinHes as a VM and the NAS of your choice (FreeNAS, OpenFiler or maybe something homebrewed) in another. That way they would not interfere and you would have a wonderful environment to sandbox (clone, test, revert) any future upgrades (to either LinHes or your NAS...). :D

Good luck!
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410