View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:29 pm 
I'm running KnoppMyth R5.5 with a two-system setup: Downstairs I have a Silvertone case running a combined front/back end. It was the first Myth box I built. Then I added a second box upstairs and made it frontend-only, connecting to the downstairs box.

The downstairs box just died, so now NEITHER box is any good. At this point I'd love to transform the frontend-only box into a standalone machine. Has anyone done this? I'm guessing some type of database export may be required from the downstairs box and import into the upstairs one.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:46 pm 
If the upstairs box (box 2) is a pure front end (no recordings, etc.) I'd just do a fresh install on it.

As for the downstairs box (box 1), how dead is it and how did it die? If it will limp along well enough to do a backup, do that. If something like the motherboard or CPU is shot and it won't even boot, try installing and booting the HD from it in box 2. The goal is to do a backup and copy the complete contents of /myth from box 1 to box 2. Once you've done that, you can restore the DB from the backup and all your recordings and other media data will be available again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:09 am 
TJC - Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out I had a bad slot in my motherboard, just installed a new one and box 1 is off and running now.

I did a transfer of all the media files to box 2, so I'll try the database backup from 1 and restore to 2.