View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Alternatives to MythDVD?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 pm 
The internal DVD player has been a source of hair-rending frustration for me lately. I don't know the underlying code, but I think there's a bug in the menu handling considering the bugs and when they happen.

When choosing "Play All" on a multi-title disc (Babylon 5, Get Smart, Hogans Heroes), it frequently chooses the wrong audio stream. Yes, commentaries are great. No, I don't want to listen to them by default!

If I pause during an episode, then when that episode is over and it's supposed to go back to the title menu (since I can't use 'play all' as per above), it hangs on a black screen instead. (Get Smart, Hogans Heroes)

Since I've uselessly googled and messed with this for who knows how many hours now, I'm at the point where I'm just ready to give up and try to find something else to play DVDs with. Mplayer is on the system, but VLC and Xine aren't available. Honestly, I'm about ready to give up menu support and go with mplayer at this point, unless someone's got a better recommendation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:34 am 
I've pretty much always used xine. The internal player has gotten much better over the years, but DVD menu handling is not one of it's strengths. Setting up xine as the default player is relatively easy, all you need is the appropriate command line, and a quick search of the forums will provide that.

I'd also recommend running it once (with a mouse or other good pointing device attached) by hand to deal with setup issues. Just Alt-X to get an xterm, type xine, and hit enter. IIRC you get the main window, a controls window and a setup window. After you go through the setup stuff (mostly just leave the default settings but turn off noise like the splash), and hit OK, right click on the main screen and uncheck the box for the control window since you're going to be driving it by key shortcuts and remote control.

Another search of the forums should turn up various lirc mappings for xine and you'll want to grab one of those if you don't already have good ones.