View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:10 pm 
Anybody have any experience transcoding recordings for a Kindle Fire or other Android device (under Linux, especially KnoppMyth/LinHES)? Any advice on formats or resolution settings? The screen is 1024×600, so best fit for 16x9 stuff looks like 1024x576, although 960x540 is a straight reduction by half.

My current playback options on the Kindle are the builtin video support or moboplayer (which is supposed to be "best of breed" but IMO the UI is both overly complex and wildly inconsistent).

Edit: platform clarifications.

Last edited by tjc on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 pm 
tjc,

I use Freemake Video Converter and, after fiddling with the conversion parameters, it works very well... Freemake has an Android setup predefined and it is very close to correct...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:43 pm 
"Platforms: Windows XP/Vista/7"... uhm... Let me clarify - under Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
I don't know if it will suit your needs, but I use mythexport to transcode, very neat and powerfull, lots of options and you can customize the resolutions, I use it for my ipad and just love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
TJC, upgrade to HandBrake 0.96 -- it is available in the testing repos for LINHES 7.2. I haven't used it for a Kindle fire, but it produces output that works on my iPhone, iPad, my wife's Samsung Galaxy Prevail running Android 2.2, etc. There are a bunch of presets. I am transcoding to H.264 on a dual-core Atom. I find that transcodes of hidef material to 640 wide video takes roughly 1.5X realtime. (ie, 90 minutes to transcode 60 minutes.) Here is the command line I use:

Code:
HandBrakeCLI -i <infile> -o <outfile> --vb 1000 --maxWidth 640

if you have a beefier CPU, you can use one of the various presets to get higher quality output.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:48 pm 
Still on 6.04 here, my robotic overlords haven't been leaving me enough time to monkey with working systems. Especially since we just got acquired and ended up with a new biggest and most important customer that is orders of magnitude larger than any of our exisiting deployments. (*)

I've used the myth2x264 script more or less successfully, and had failures with myth2xvid, but even for the successes the results are only so-so. Audio sync problems are the most obvious issue, and I'm wondering how much I can reduce the bit rate (and thus file size) and maintain acceptible video quality.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:16 pm 
Quote:
Especially since we just got acquired and ended up with a new biggest and most important customer that is orders of magnitude larger than any of our exisiting deployments. (*)

That is good news! You will catch up one day... in the mean time use this wiki to get Mythexport working in 6.04. And best of all, like marc suggested it uses Handbrake's scripts to export to whatever you like, lots of options and presets.

http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... t_for_iPod

It is worth the effort, it looks perfect on the ipad and ipod,
Good luck and keep up the hard work!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
[...]
Code:
HandBrakeCLI -i <infile> -o <outfile> --vb 1000 --maxWidth 640

[...]

Thanks for this - I had never heard of HandBrakeCLI. I had an error that was throwing me:
Code:
ERROR: No muxer selected, exiting
but I finally realized that it was the output file type -- -o PresDebate.mpg did not work, but -o PresDebate.mp4 worked perfectly, and was a lot simpler than the old mencoder command that I had scripted and which never really worked for me anyway.

-john