View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: TVtime integration?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:26 am 
Hello,

Is it possible to integrate TVtime or a similar program into the main KnoppMyth menu? I ask because I've got my MythTV box hooked to a monitor and not a TV, so the only way to play a game console is through the S-Video input on the TV tuner card. I can't play it through MythTV's "Watch TV" feature, since the 3-5 second delay for live TV buffering obviously makes most games unplayable. Also, the deinterlacer quality in TVtime is better, and doesn't lose quality by compressing/decompressing the signal.

I've got TVtime installed on the machine (a simple "apt-get install tvtime" did it) but I currently have to exit MythTV, open up a Xterm window, and launch the program manually, which is clunky, to say the least, and pretty well prevents anyone other than myself from playing games. Is there any way to add TVtime as an option from the main menu? If there is, it might be nice to have this as a default in future releases...

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:50 am 
Is there a way to do it? absolutely.
Will anyone take the time and effort to do it? I seriously doubt it.

Unfortunately it's not a really simple process, and I would immagine that your situation is rather unique trying to run your game console through your tv card and display on the monitor. I think that most people using mythtv want to display onto a tv, and in that case they will just plug the game console directly into the tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:04 am 
Sorry, I'm not adding TVTime. We are trying to reduce the size of KnoppMyth. If all you want is a button, why not add it yourself? The file to edit is /usr/share/mythtv/mainmenu.xml
Code:
<button>
<type>TVTime</type>
<text><TVTime</text>
<action>EXEC /path/to/tvtime</action>
</button>

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:18 am 
I guess you could do it that easily I was thinking that all those buttons were gif's or png's or something and that you would have to design the button too. Oh and by the way the second line looks a little off. is the < infront of TVTime supposed to be there? I don't know xml so it may belong, just looks out of place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:25 am 
It is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:41 am 
cesman wrote:
Sorry, I'm not adding TVTime. We are trying to reduce the size of KnoppMyth.

OK. I can understand trying to keep the size/complexity of KnoppMyth down, and I realize that mine is probably a fairly rare situation...

Quote:
If all you want is a button, why not add it yourself? The file to edit is /usr/share/mythtv/mainmenu.xml
Code:
<button>
<type>TVTime</type>
<text><TVTime</text>
<action>EXEC /path/to/tvtime</action>
</button>

Well, that's easy enough. One question, though. KnoppMyth mutes the line-in in the mixer, but TVtime needs it turned up to work correctly. Is it possible to have the button turn the line-in volume up, launch TVtime, and then turn it back down once TVtime exits? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:17 pm 
If I were you, I'd write a scipt and have the button launch the script. Use aumix and adjust the volume for KnoppMyth save and quit. Move .aumixrc(I think that is it...) to something like .aumixrc.km. Again use aumix to adjust the setting for tvtime save and quit. Move to .aumixrc.tt. Copy .aumixrc.km back to .aumixrc. Your script should copy .aumicrc.tt to .aumixrc then lanuch tvtime when tvtime quits the script should then copy .aumixrc.km to .aumixrc. You'll want to change EXEC tvtime to EXEC script.