View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:04 am 
I posted this in the R6 feature request, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

www.hulu.com launched with a bang yesterday. It is a legal streaming video site that offers current and old school TV shows and movies for free (ad supported). I have always been skeptical of these sites, mainly because their selection typically sucks. But this site is pretty impressive, with lots of 'A' list movies and thousands of episodes from hit tv shows. Just check out the selection from their website. They are also promising much more to come, as the site just launched 2 days ago.

I believe that this site is here to stay, as they have already invested millions in the royalty rights, etc.

Now the question is, do people have interest in getting this to work in knoppmyth? I could not get it working through my attempts, even though I already have firefox with the latest flash player plugin.

Anyway, I encourage people to check out the site, and lets brainstorm some ideas here of how we might be able to integrate this into the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 am 
I was looking at this site as the dev can stream lots of stuff with this script. However it needs Kommander and stuff, so I guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 pm 
I am using Iceweasel (Firefox) with the Flash plug-in installed to play movies / TV shows on Hulu.com. You have either the option of viewing them in low definition (360p) or high definition (480p). Plus you can make them full screen. The only downside is that it is a bit CPU intensive. In top, Firefox-bin takes about 84% CPU and Xorg takes about 44%. My box play them smoothly in 480p since I have a dual core Opteron box (My Opteron 165 is equivalent to a Athlon 64 3600+ X2 processor).

The video quality in 480p is about the same level as Stage6 (RIP). Playback has been very smooth with a few national commercials thrown in the middle of the videos that are about 30 seconds a piece. I would say the commercials come in about every 15 to 20 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:34 pm 
I'm also using Iceweasel with the latest Flash plug-in. I just installed them a few days ago when Hulu was announce. I followed the directions here:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17408

and it came right up. Very easy. Although the tip is for using mplayer, jump down to the post by myth19kirt and he tells you where to install the flash plug-in.

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 pm 
It would be great to have this more seamlessly integrated into Myth. Perhaps it could be done in a similar manor to how "Watch DVD" can launch Xine?

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm 
Just updated and installed from wsweier's link. Works great, however watching full screen is choppy (normal windowed mode plays smooth)

Probably my setup but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same results.
Celeron 3Ghz
1GB RAM
Geforce 6200 @ 720p

Thanks for the link, tama102, excellent find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 am 
Entourage, I have iceweasel 2.0.0.3 and flash player and expereience the same results as yours.

I believe my is due to the low end of this box however,
This box is Athlon 2200 , 1gig of pc133 ram and FX 6200 video running 1366x760 vidoe output.

All othe rplayback is great but I fear this just ins't up to the task for Fullscreen HULU.

Haven't tried it on any of my other platforms yet/

SBE: AMD Dur1800, 512M, PVR500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 am 
wsweier wrote:
I'm also using Iceweasel with the latest Flash plug-in. I just installed them a few days ago when Hulu was announce. I followed the directions here:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17408

and it came right up. Very easy. Although the tip is for using mplayer, jump down to the post by myth19kirt and he tells you where to install the flash plug-in.

Enjoy!

I installed firefox with the instructions from the link and it works. But when I go to hulu, it tells me I need Flash. Did I miss a step?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 pm 
I already had iceweasel installed and had put flash on at that time.
When I looked at the link wsweier listed, about 2/3 of the way down mythkirt said he installed flash from another site that provided a link.

TJC also mentioned that there are version issues.

I seem to remember somewhere I was surfing needed Flash and that was how I got mine on there.

HTH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I installed firefox with the instructions from the link and it works. But when I go to hulu, it tells me I need Flash. Did I miss a step?

Yeah, I had to install Flash as well. I followed the link from the knoppmythwiki:
Knoppmythwiki.org wrote:
1. Open a terminal (Alt-X)
2. Get the flash plugin tarball.

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz
3. Untar the flash tarball by typing tar zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
4. cd to that new directory. cd install_flash_player_9_linux.
5. copy the .xpt and .so files to /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins dir.

cp flashplayer.xpt /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins
cp libflashplayer.so /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins
Restart firefox, check that they are registered by putting about:plugins in the URL address.

I didn't have an .xpt file so I browsed to the untar'd folder and ran ./flashplayer-installer. This asked me where the mozilla folder was located and that's where I entered:
Code:
/usr/lib/iceweasel

Finished the installation, and tried it again and it worked great! (well, not full screen, but still worked)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 pm 
entourage wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:

Yeah, I had to install Flash as well. I followed the link from the knoppmythwiki:
Knoppmythwiki.org wrote:
1. Open a terminal (Alt-X)
2. Get the flash plugin tarball.

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... nux.tar.gz
3. Untar the flash tarball by typing tar zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
4. cd to that new directory. cd install_flash_player_9_linux.
5. copy the .xpt and .so files to /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins dir.

cp flashplayer.xpt /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins
cp libflashplayer.so /home/mythtv/.mozilla/plugins
Restart firefox, check that they are registered by putting about:plugins in the URL address.

I didn't have an .xpt file so I browsed to the untar'd folder and ran ./flashplayer-installer. This asked me where the mozilla folder was located and that's where I entered:
Code:
/usr/lib/iceweasel

Finished the installation, and tried it again and it worked great! (well, not full screen, but still worked)

Thanks, I followed the wiki as well, but when that didn't work for me, I just followed the links in the browser to install. Seems I might be seeing the instability that tjc was talking about as I've locked up my box... Still playing around with this.

Any work-around for smooth full-screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:06 pm 
I was concerned when I saw tjc's comment about the newest version of flash but gave it ago any ways. Seems fine on my set up so I guess YMMV.

As for choppy play back, I have not yet tried any of the high def (480P or higher) content so maybe I'm not stressing the box. Sometimes I get some stuttering right after commercial breaks, so I pause for about 10 secs (mouse click in middle of pic), let it buffer, then click again and off it goes. I think my boxes handles it fine, it's my DSL that is borderline. I do notice the pixelation of the content, but I wouldn't call that choppy.

Quote:
Just updated and installed from wsweier's link. Works great, however watching full screen is choppy (normal windowed mode plays smooth)

Probably my setup but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same results

entourage, is this basic TV content or the higher 480P content? I'll try out the 480P content and let you know my results, but since I have a dual core, it may not mean that much. Or, my DSL may not keep the buffer full. Could your internet connection be causing it to be choppy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:24 pm 
I'm watching the Simpsons at full screen and it looks very good, with an occasional black line across the screen when the action is faster (like when you have an incorrect modeline... hmm). But live action is not very smooth at all.

Hula with Firefox very usable, but low on the WAF for me. It would be great of it could be run from within mythstream somehow. That would also make it remote friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am 
wsweier wrote:
entourage, is this basic TV content or the higher 480P content? I'll try out the 480P content and let you know my results, but since I have a dual core, it may not mean that much. Or, my DSL may not keep the buffer full. Could your internet connection be causing it to be choppy?
This is just the basic 320p content. I have FIOS so I highly doubt I have a bandwidth issue. Since I have a single core processor, I'm wondering if that's the cause.
I checked TOP and I wasn't maxing out the processor, but it was using approx 75%. It wasn't really watchable at all in full screen mode.
Imagine blinking 3 times a second and trying to watch a movie. That's the best way to describe it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:33 pm 
I tried the 480P content. DSL handled it OK.

I now see what you are talking about. When there was any panning or fast movement, the objects on the screen jump and were not smooth (choppy). This was in full screen mode. If I did the pop out and enlarged it too about 80% screen size (or left it small in browser) motion and panning was smooth as silk. In "top" my dual core showed ~87% firefox and ~45% Xorg when I was ~80 fullscreen. So, yeah, I'm guessing your single processor is have difficulty and dropping frames. For other content (i think it's at 360P) I don't see this issue for full screen.

I tried messing with some firefox caching and flash buffer settings but not much help. Make me wonder if a firefox 3 beta (which I read is faster) could handle this better. But I'm not willing to experiment since I'm functional.

Good luck,

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next