View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:09 pm 
Hardware I use: Picked all but PVR up at Pomona Computer Fair -thanks cessman!
ASUS A7N266 Micro-ATX Motherboard (built in video/lan/sound)
Athlon 2200 processor (Retail - comes with stock fan which is very quiet)
256K Kingston PC2100 Memory
MicroAtx Case (Similar to coolermaster, but $37 at Pomona computer fair w/stock power supply).
PVR250 w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce4 mx440 bx (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital
IFree wireless (RF-USB) keyboard/mouse combo #GL3001

Prices: Mbrd/CPU/Memory purchased together for: $167.00
120GB Western Digital ATA HDD: $79.00
GeForce Video w/tv-out: $41.00 (double check it REALLY has tv-out!)
MicroATX Case w/power supply: $37.00 (quiet and it is small!)
DVD CD-R/W: Already had, think I paid $40 or so at Fry's Electronics
PVR250: $149.95 from Fry's Electronics
Wireless k/b mouse combo: $40.00

Installed all h/w before install of knoppmyth. m/b auto moved video to GeForce card. Put it on Primary Master and did Auto-Install. Everything installed fine, no problems. Removed CD and rebooted. When it restarted off hard drive it did lock up. This was due to the wireless usb k/b mouse. I unplugged to usb and let it boot w/o any keyboard/mouse. It booted fine into setup. After X started I plugged in the k/b mouse and it imediatly responded. I finished the regular install and then exited out of X and did install-i686-l and then install-nvidia.sh. I rebooted. It came up, I finished configuring and everything worked right out of the box. Just make sure that usb k/b is unplugged while booting, then plug-in once x starts (but no need if just using remote!).
Also after 1 1/2 days of playing around I have been able to dual boot win-xp and knoppmyth. I will create a new thread in installation explaining this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:33 pm 
The Dual-Boot procedure is in Hints and Tips. I thought it may be better to post it there and I didn't want to get flamed!

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1089

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:19 am 
Quote:
MicroAtx Case (Similar to coolermaster, but $37 at Pomona computer fair w/stock power supply).

Do you have a link or pic? I'm on a bit of a budget...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:00 pm 
Looks like this(mine by the way...) only all black. http://www.compusaveinc.net/show_item_full.cfm?item=PM3302MI

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:48 am 
I finished the regular install and then exited out of X and did install-i686-l and then install-nvidia.sh. I rebooted. It came up, I finished configuring and everything worked right out of the box.

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to build a knoppmyth box that will work right out of the box, due to my lack (none) of linux experience. I downloaded the video of Kevin Rose's systm episode on how to install knoppmyth and got the bug. I am wondering what you meant when you said "install-nvidia.sh. and "did install -i686-l" what do they mean?. I guess I am looking for a list of hardware to buy (inexpensive) that I can put together, install knoppmyth (without knowing how to edit in linux) and turn it on and be able to schedule and record tv shows, and use a remote control. Oh, and eventually I want to learn how to send a recorded show over my home network to my apple G4 laptop for viewing in another room (connected to my tv). Please have pity on this linux challenged guy! Give me step by step what to buy, I'll buy and build, step by step how to install knoppmyth, and I'll use!!! And I'll gratefully donate to the cause...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:29 am 
thomjw,

Firstly you should have started a new thread for this topic as it has nothing to do with this particular thread.

Secondly, read, read, read. Tier 1 are hardware that"just works".

The easiest thing to do if you want to get straight into it is to buy a preconfigured box from Human at http://mythtic.tv, the beauty is call "Dragon"

Unleash the Dragon at your house :!:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm 
Girkers,
can you please give me a better location to buy a preconfigured box? I tried your link, but it is bad. I tried to google it, but it comes back to knoppmyth's site.
Btw, I already have a full size case, AMD 2200+ chip, 200gb hd, 786 ddr2700 memory. If I can just find out what mobo to use, what remote to use, what dvd or cdrw to use, and how to install the knoppmyth software I would be good. But If I can just buy a preconfigured box that works when I turn it on, I'll do that instead!!
-Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:00 pm 
Sorry about the link, it should be http://mythic.tv. He also has the specs available so you can see what he uses.

As to installing it yourself look at the knoppmyth pamphlet.