View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Australian Dragon
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:05 am 
With this hardware, and typing "ausdragon2" at the install prompt, the machine was working perfectly in 17 minutes. I sell this config in Australia, and Cecil has now approved it as a Knoppmyth Reference Platform.
The airstar2 card importer (digitalnow) just stopped importing them, but I'm working on a remedy for this.

DVDRW LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P
TUNER CARD Technisat Airstar 2 PCI
REMOTE CONTROL Streamzap IR Remote
MOTHERBOARD Intel DG965WH Motherboard
Power Supply Zalman ZM460B-APS Noiseless Power Supply
AUDIO On-board Analog 7.1
SilverStone LC17 (black)
CPU Core 2 Duo E6320
GRAPHICS ASUS EN6200TC512
DISK 320GB WD3200YS
KEYBOARD Basic Wired
RAM 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2-667 PC2-5300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 am 
Mike,

I have the components of a Dragon and have now tried to install KM using ausdragon2 at the install prompt. It proceeds OK but does not execute your fixepg-au.sh script so it does not access my TUHS account for station details. Is it supposed to run the script automatically or am I supposed to do that manually?

I did notice that at initial boot with the CD I get a message
PCI:Failed to allocate mem resources #6:200000@50000000 for 0000:01:00.0
Other than that everything seems to go smoothly.

Richard

DVDRW LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1P
TUNER CARD Dvico DVB-T Lite
MOTHERBOARD Intel DG965WH Motherboard
Power Supply Zalman ZM460B-APS Noiseless Power Supply
AUDIO On-board Analog 7.1
SilverStone LC17 (black)
CPU Core 2 Duo E6320
GRAPHICS Gigabyte 7300 GS
DISK 500GB WD5000YS
KEYBOARD Basic Wired
RAM 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2-667 PC2-5300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:45 am 
nicom wrote:
Mike,

I have the components of a Dragon and have now tried to install KM using ausdragon2 at the install prompt. It proceeds OK but does not execute your fixepg-au.sh script so it does not access my TUHS account for station details. Is it supposed to run the script automatically or am I supposed to do that manually?

Hi Richard,

I have installed it many times on almost the same hardware, and it has always run the scripts correctly. You're installing R5F1, right?

What does it run? When you reboot after the install, it should ask for your root passwd, then straight away asks you for your TUHS details. If it doesn't do this, I'd like to find out why.

I've run the KM installer about 50 times (really) on Dragon and non-Dragon hardware, and it has always run the scripts correctly.

Please give me more details.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:10 pm 
Mike,

Yes it is R5F1 I am running. I downloaded it earlier this week and burned the disk at 4X.

At the reboot it asks for root password then (from memory) asks to set time zone/time, prompts for DHCP check, checks for KnoppMyth patches, then goes straight into mythtv-setup. I am not at the machine now so cannot give the full details. I have tried the complete installation process 3 times with the same result.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 am 
nicom. what bios are you running? .. also.. do you happen to have another video card you could swap in? (even though i believe that is the video card quoted in the ausdragon specs)

and in which cards do you have in which slots?

(here im referring to the pci error as it seems similar to a kernel bug ??? someone else will know more than me)

i believe there is a recent bios update on the intel site - but i haven't flashed to it as yet.

this may have nothing to do with anything ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:01 am 
stevetv,

Bios version according to System Setup
MQ96510J.86A.1612.2006.1227.1513

The cards are plugged into slots 1 and 3. It was too crowded to use 1 & 2. I do have a WinTV analogue card I could try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:39 am 
nicom wrote:
stevetv,

Bios version according to System Setup
MQ96510J.86A.1612.2006.1227.1513

The cards are plugged into slots 1 and 3. It was too crowded to use 1 & 2. I do have a WinTV analogue card I could try.

i asked about the bios and the video (display) card cause i was worried about the pci error problem. but im an idiot.. click here for your pci error problem fix

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... ragon+bios

your analog tuner card wont work with the ausdragon2 script - at least mine didn't. i wasn't able to tune any channels. not to say you need the same digital tuner cards as described on manicmikes page - grikers ran the script successfully with different digital cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:09 am 
I think you maybe onto something here. I found this site http://mythic.tv/DragonInstallationGuide.html which says the bios must be 1618 for Dragon2. I will try updating the bios next but it will not be until next week.

Thanks for you advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:48 am 
Well, I've updated the bios to 1618 and still I get the pci error. I tried intelfix at the prompt and still get the error and the ausdragon2 script does not execute properly.

Unless anyone has any better idea I think I will try setting it up manually which is a bit of a pity because the reason I followed the Dragon spec was to avoid this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:30 am 
just confirming that you've set the bios correctly? (ie numlock off, sata as AHCI and power behaviour (though not sure these will result in the error you desribed).

i ask cause i have seen that error on my old p3 - but was never able to resolve it. i presumed it was (my) hardware specific as the bios was so old - but it doesnt make sense to happen on your motherboard as its used by so many.

also.. if you use the ausdragon2 script it will assume youre using digital sound. but i guess the worst this will do is prevent you having sound.. not cause startup errors form the bios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:42 am 
Hi guys,

You're saying that you're installing with ausdragon2, and the aussie script won't run?
I've tried it on many different machines (different motherboards, etc) and it *always* runs. Incidentally, intelfix is included in the ausdragon2 choice (I think I have it as "intelfix display=1024x768 country=au").

I don't understand why this is (not) happening, because this is how it works: The installation choice passes the parameters (listed in above paragraph) to the kernel, which it remembers on reboot: "country=au" is detected in the Knoppmyth-run script and runs the aus-specific stuff. If you absolutely cannot get the aus stuff to work, you can just run it manually. Before you go into the post install setup, run "AusDragonTweaker.sh". You can run it as the mythtv user.

I think you may have a dud motherboard or disk, though. If the operating system is not behaving the way it should, there's something very wrong.

Cheers

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:59 pm 
Mike,

I think you may be right about being a hardware problem. I tried older versions of KnoppMyth using intelfix at the boot and got the same PCI:failed error.

With R5F1 I tried "AusDragonTweaker.sh". It asked for state, weather location, TUHS username, TUHS password, then dropped back to the prompt.

I think I need to do some investigation to determine the following not necessarily in this order:
1. Try to isolate the dodgy component. This may be difficult since there is no obvious failing of the machine.
2. Is the PCI:failed error a problem.
3. Is the PCI:failed error causing the failure of the ausdragon script.
4. Can I get my machine working manually with your fixepg-au.sh script

When I get something to report or question to ask I will start a new topic as it is seems specific to my machine.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:45 pm 
Just adding my own insights here, from a perspective of the Dragon for North America.
nicom wrote:
I think you may be right about being a hardware problem. I tried older versions of KnoppMyth using intelfix at the boot and got the same PCI:failed error.

That message appears on all Dragon 2.0 systems and seems to be a side-effect of the kernel workarounds to get the ICH9 chipset going. It is not an indicator of hardware problems. If you're able to boot and run AusDragonTweaker.sh, your hardware doesn't appear to be obviously broken. Mike will probably just need to help you figure out why the tweaker is not working for you. I haven't studied his tweaker, so I don't know offhand why it might fail, but perhaps it's making assumptions about the exactness of the match to the Australian Dragon spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:01 am 
nicom wrote:
Mike,

With R5F1 I tried "AusDragonTweaker.sh". It asked for state, weather location, TUHS username, TUHS password, then dropped back to the prompt.

I think I need to do some investigation to determine the following not necessarily in this order:
1. Try to isolate the dodgy component. This may be difficult since there is no obvious failing of the machine.
2. Is the PCI:failed error a problem.
3. Is the PCI:failed error causing the failure of the ausdragon script.
4. Can I get my machine working manually with your fixepg-au.sh script

When I get something to report or question to ask I will start a new topic as it is seems specific to my machine.

Richard

Hi Richard,

As Human said, ignore the PCI error. It has no effect on the machine.

Run "cat /proc/cmdline" and tell me what you find. It *should* have "country=au" in the output.

Await yours

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:53 am 
Mike,

It's good to know it's not hardware. Results from cat /proc/cmdline

Code:
auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=801 splash=silent nomce all-generic-ide pci=nommconf apm=power-off quiet country=au resume2=swap:/dev/sda2 noresume2

As you can see it has country=au. Maybe there is a problem with my iso

Hope this helps

Richard

Go to page 1, 2  Next