View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:04 pm 
I setup this configuration recently after I purchased the P4/ECS motherboard combo from outpost. I used some parts from my old mythtv box (P-II@400MHz).

IntelĀ® P4 2.8AGHz (533 FSB) Box CPU
ECS 848P-A 800MHZ FSB Motherboard (with overclocking support)
384MB DDR
WD 40GB (OS, /cache, swap)
Seagate ST3160023A-RK 160GB (/myth - xfs partition)
Hauppauge PVR 350
DVD/CD-RW
Nvidia MX440SE - with TV out

I did not have any problem at all. I used the automatic instllation option and did ivtv driver recompilation after install. Also moved all the data from my old drives.

The performance is amazing. I can watch one program while recording other - the 'top' shows cpu utilization of less than 1%.

----
I had some problems while moving my data around. I corrupted the database since I had a different name for my old pc. I also changed the hostname on my new PC that caused more problems. On top of that I got "Timestamp Mismatch" while booting.With the help from various posts in different Knoppmyth forums I fixed these problems.

SIVA

Post subject: Small update.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 am 
So far I am happy with this system and its performance. I just found out that the BIOS supports automatic boot at a preset time. The setting is Resume on Alarm - Once I set the time for the alarm, it automatically boots and I have a cron job that shuts it down around midnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:01 am 
Hi,
I am shopping for a motherboard replacement for my KnoppMyth box. How is this motherboard doing for you now?
Any troubles?
Any configuration tweaks needed or instability?

In the short term, I plan to reuse as much as possible from the current system.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

I have a similar setup.

eMachines T2690
TriGem Imperial socket 478 mb
2.6GHz celeron CPU
512MB 2100 DDR
2 PVR-250's
GeForce4 440 MX PCI w/TV-out
80 GB hda, 200 GB hdb, 200 GB hdd w/LVM
DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive hdc
LAN, floppy, wireless keyboard, grey hauppauge remote, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:02 am 
I can't comment on that particular mb, but unless you plan to run your system 24/7, you might want to check the wakeup support. sivasankar mentions above that it works manually, but you might also want to check nvram-wakeup support so myth can set the wakeup for the next record:

http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/nvram-wakeup/nvram-wakeup/README?rev=HEAD

Another thing to check is whether the MB supports setting the "day". Mine only supports hour/minute/second (who needs second!), so I can't set a wakeup for more than 24 hours in the future.

Allen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:18 am 
Thanks for the reply. There are so many factors that I cannot make a decision! Yes, novram wakeup support would be so nice. It is a waste of electricity to let it run 24x7 but there is no way presently to get my mb to accept the "wakeup" function in the BIOS.

What I am looking for is the socket 478 equivalent of the Chaintech 7NIF2 that so many people rave about how great it is with KnoppMyth and MythTV. Its got to be out there!

I have had good luck with ASUS mbs in the past and they are solid performers. I am partial to intel chipsets as well since they seem to have fewer problems with DMA, etc. I really like the idea of ASUS Q-Fan too.

Does anyone know a Tier 1 "champion" socket 478 motherboard for KnoppMyth and MythTV?

There are so many important factors I have analysis paralysis!

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:35 pm 
Andrew

I have not had any problems with this motherboard. I like the BIOS wake up. Since most of the programs I record start after 8PM, I start my system around 7:45PM.

Only thing is I was not successful with 2 tuner cards. I am not sure if it has anything todo with the mbd. Anyway recently I upgraded to R5A12 successfully and it is time to check it out.

SIVA

lynchaj wrote:
Hi,
I am shopping for a motherboard replacement for my KnoppMyth box. How is this motherboard doing for you now?
Any troubles?
Any configuration tweaks needed or instability?

In the short term, I plan to reuse as much as possible from the current system.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

I have a similar setup.

eMachines T2690
TriGem Imperial socket 478 mb
2.6GHz celeron CPU
512MB 2100 DDR
2 PVR-250's
GeForce4 440 MX PCI w/TV-out
80 GB hda, 200 GB hdb, 200 GB hdd w/LVM
DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive hdc
LAN, floppy, wireless keyboard, grey hauppauge remote, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:53 pm 
SIVA,

What case are you using ? I am looking to put some of my hardware into a new case. I think I would like to use the same configuration you have.
I currently have the hardware below:

Intel P4
PVR 250
PVR 350
DVD
256 Mb DDR
80Gb HD

I will begin looking at pricing for the motherboard and video card you are using since they seem to work with knoppmyth. Do you have any suggestions on a good looking case that will have room for this stuff. I asked for suggestion for motherboards and cases in another post in the hardware section but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

Max

Post subject: my case
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:55 pm 
Max

I got this case(mid tower) from my colleague. It is called "Color Cases". It has enough room for my 3 disks (got windoze), DVD writer, floppy drive etc + some more. The only problem is there was no fan when I bought it and I put in 3 additional fans (2 in the back, 1 in the front). All these fans, cpu fan and power supply fan make it little bit noisy.

Somthing like this without the side transparent cover. http://www.colorcases.com/products/productdetails.asp?main_catid=1&catid=7&prodid=30
SIVA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:41 pm 
I am definitely interested in the low risk Tier 1 approach. We'll see in few days if this works out!

Wish me luck with the new motherboard!

Pretty good deal too!

http://dealnews.com/articles/ECS+848PA+ ... 83608.html

Thanks! (especially SIVA)

Andrew Lynch

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:07 am 
I got the 2 tuners working on this system after installing R5A12 (sometime back). So it is nothing to do with motherboard. I disabled all unused ports in the BIOS (serial/parallel ports) as recommended by one of the posts.