View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:18 am 
Having wanted to build a TIVO like system for some time, I finally decided to take the plunge. After doing some research I decided to go with MythTV. I knew nothing about Linux starting off this project.

Summary: Hardware can make the difference between a good and a bad experience!

Original System:

COOLERMAS|ATXDT ATC-610-GX1 CaseChainTech 7NIF2-SUMMIT FORTRON 300W P300-60PN Powersupply
NForce2 Motherboard
Using Onboard Audio
Using Onboard Video Geforce MX440 - TV-Out
Seagate Barracuda 120GM HD
TV LEADTEK/DELUXE TV2000XP TV/FM Capture Card
AMD|2100+ 1.7 ATHLONXP TBRED CPU
CORSAIR 256M PC-2700
Plextor CDRW (had this already)
No Floppy
3Com Network Card (I had trouble getting the onboard NIC to work)

I got the system put together and started the install process. When I got to the partition step I had the problem with it not recognizing that I had the partitions and only got the 2 menu options. To get around this I did a partial install of Red Hat - got through the partitions and cancelled the install. I only had to do this once. The install went OK although it flagged some errors. I then went through the rest of the steos - I could not get the harddrive file system commands to work. I got the sparce_super invalid error - I just skipped that step.

I got to the MythTV setup and had all sorts of troubles - my system continually got hung up and I had to reboot. I also got segmentation faults whenever I tried to setup my video sources. This was troubling and very frustrating. I had setup my bttv file for my card and everything else seemed fine. After haggling around and getting some great help from a new friend, I got the thing up and going. I still was having all sorts of issues with the system hanging, but I was able to watch some TV and check out the TV guide. Overall the system was very unstable.

After a week of re-installs crashes, freezes, and pure frustration I gave up and shipped back my motherboard, cpu, and memory. I was surprised with Chaintechs support - it was terrible. Absolutly, no response.

I re-ordered a new motherboard, cpu, and memory and gave it another shot.

ASUS A7N8X-VM
Kingston HyperX 256bm Memory
Athlon 2500+ Barton CPU

This time around my experience was completely different. I started from scratch, setup the partitions, and completed the install. I was able to setup the filesystem with no issues and also completed all the MythTV setup without any hangups.

MythTV is well worth the initial hassle I had. I have no current issues and the system run great. It has not hung up on me or had any freezes. I will give the one caveat that I am only watching TV through my monitor at this time. The motherboard has a Geforce MX440 TV out option and I have an old Voodoo2 with TV out I might try. I am pondering using one of those options vs. going with a VGA to TV convertor.

I learned through this experience that the hardware can make the difference. MythTV is not really picky, but Linux seems to be. If you are having weird things happen in MytTV or are simply not having any success, you might want to take a look at what is in your system. My guess is I had compatibility problems with my motherboard, and/or memory. That is not to say that the original motherboard will not work - I know of people using it with a Red Hat install of Myth and it works great.

Sorry for the long post. I will post an update when I get my TV Out working.

Good Luck

Quigs

Post subject: btaudio?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:08 pm 
This this setup work with btaudio or did you need some kinf of patch cable. Also did you have to install any modules/rpms or did the auto install take care of everything?

Adrian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:07 pm 
the leadtek does not work with btaudio so you would have to have a patchthrough audio cable. besides btaudio does not work "out of the box" without any configuration even on cards that support it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:22 pm 
I have the same card and it is the only source of problem I ran into.

The chipset of TV2000XP on mine is Conexant cx23881. The older card may be using BT7x7 chipset which works well with Linux.

However the Conexant chipset is not working 100% yet. Although there is v4l2 driver but sound does not seem to working and I can only have it working with xawtv but not mythtv.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:33 am 
dkwok wrote:
However the Conexant chipset is not working 100% yet. Although there is v4l2 driver but sound does not seem to working and I can only have it working with xawtv but not mythtv.

I dont know if this applies to the Conexant driver, but I found that the saa7134 driver needed the following command to be run before the sound would work in MythTV.
"v4lctl -c /dev/video setattr mute off"

See this post for more info.