View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:47 pm 
    ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" motherboard ($92 --great onboard sound and Gbit enet)
    Sempron 2500+ CPU, 1.75 Ghz ($71)
    Rosewill nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "RW5200-128D3" ($52)
    WINTEC AMPO 184-pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 RAM ($37)
    NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive ($52)
    COOLER MASTER Cavalier 3 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case With 350W Power Supply ($76)
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 ($134)
    MyBlaster Serial ($40 -- to control DISH-TV tuner or cable box)
    250 Gig good meal deal hard drive ($25 after rebates and price match!)

Linux newbie., using KnoppMyth RA12.

Worked like a CHARM, though I did have to flash upgrade the MB Bios first (saw posts warning me about that, though, for this motherboard/processor combo).

I did waste a lot of time trying to get a different IR Blaster working with the system first (a $12 simple one-- I have a DISH TV receiver to deal with), but after that failed I found bought the My.tv blaster which only requires small edits to a single perl script (rather than recompilling device drivers) and it was going fine.

I got nervous with the jumpy-stuttery video before I realized that the default frame rates were over agressive, then dialed them down a bit in the prefs and got smooth video that is still at least as good, if not better, than my ReplayTV box gives.

I did manage to break the CD import by mucking around in the MySQL database where I shouldn't have, but that's my own dang fault. The weater map doesn't work without some fuss, but that's not core functionality to I won't ding the rating for that.

No problem watching one show while recording and commercial flagging another in the background. Nice work. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:44 pm 
Replying to myself as follow-up....

Can't seem to watch or transcode DVD's, but that's not a primary function so I won't ding it for that. Just the TV function is 10x better than my Replay.

Advice to anyone reading: some stuttery video on default settings, but down sample the bitrate a little and it's smooth as glass. Plus the PVR-250 has other formats that take up more disk space, but provide smoother encoding at higher quality. Can always transcode in the background after the fact if space is a concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:23 am 
hello
Do you use the spdif audio out or the analog on this board? I was looking at a similar asus board with spdif out and wanted to make sure there was no problems, from what I see alsa supports this.
Thanks

Post subject: onboard sound?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:51 pm 
I have the same mother board as you and am curious how the onboard sound is working for you?

I've grepped and googled and modprobed myself to death trying to get the sound working and as far as I can tell, it just plain doesn't work. Did you have any sound issues?

thanks

Andrew

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200R0 200GB
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:28 pm 
Is the onboard sound disabled in the BIOS?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:56 am 
Nope, thought of that. I've also tried booting into straight knoppix, no result. This boards has Nforce2 sound (AC97) which google says has mixed results. Some posts out there suggest that sound on this particular MOBO is totally unsupported. Others (like this thread) suggest that it works straight out of the box.

I've used both the stock ALSA drivers and the latest nvidia drivers, tried different sets of speakers, different combinations of outputs etc. not a peep. Also confirmed that I have the latest bios which is supposed to include support for "all" os's. I"m about ready to head out and buy another sound card, though it seems a waste as the good reports on it say its great.

In fact, this is the only thing that is keeping me from posting my setup in tier 1. oh well. As I get it finalized, I'll put it tier 2.

sorry for the ramble, but I'm frustrated

Andrew

Post subject: onboard sound SOLVED
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:27 pm 
see this post for details on this grueling sound issue...

sheesh

Andrew