View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:44 pm 
Just wanted to detail my hardware for people that are looking. Overall the setup I have just works in R4.

I'll start with the one part that doesn't just work. I have a leadtek tv card. And it is not properly detected by the bttv driver. This is not a knoppmyth specific issue and there really is nothing the knoppmyth maintainers could do to make it just work.

That said if you are looking to get a tv card I wouldn't suggest the leadtek, but if you already have one it will work you just have to modify some startup scripts.

Now for the rest of the system that does work out of the box with knoppmyth.

Chaintek 7nif2 motherboard with nforce2 chipset onboard lan, sound, and video(with tv-out).

hauppage pvr250 hardware encode tv tuner.

western digital 200GB 7200rpm 8Mb cache Hard drive.

Athlon XP 1700+

512MB DDR Ram

And for right now a minitower case (hoping to scrounge up the money for a colermaster 620 soon.)

I am using the onboard sound, lan, and TV-out.

R4 properly detects and utilizes the intel8x0 alsa drivers for the sound. The included nvidia install script works fine for the onboard video. On hint though I had to set the refresh rate, and use the ConnectedMonitor TV option in XF86Config-4 to get the tvout to draw X properly. R4 includes a script to build the nvnet driver for the lan. This works as expected, but I had to use eth1 for my network instead of eth0 (something to keep in mind with this board not sure if it will happen to anyone else, but you never know).

I am using the i686-lx for lirc and XVmc both work fine out of the box. (grey pvr250 remote) XVmc does cause a segfault every once in a while, but I don't believe that is fixable by knoppmyth.

With this setup I can record two shows, and watch a previously recorded show all at the same time and usually have between 50-70% CPU utilization.

I don't think I have left anything out, but If you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:26 am 
Is the nforce script invoked automatically?

I have a similar setup? A Shuttle SN41G2 which has an nforce2 chipset with onboard nvidia audio/lan/video.

At knoppemyth boot I get an immediate request for a manual adjustment of columns and rows of the display (I'm installing via TV). I've tried several options, including just hitting space to continue.

Install continues but it doesn't detect/setup the ethernet adapter, and then while trying to load X, the screen flickers several times and either stays off, or If I I hit Ctrl-F2 I can get a prompt. It seems ethernet sound and video don't work out of the box. I am just starting so I haven't had a chance to install the Nvidia linux binaries for video and nforce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:47 am 
when you first boot you need to boot with "Knoppmyth tv" I think that's the command. It's in the documentation. basically this puts it in 800x600 mode and keeps it from asking you about the resolution stuff. then when the first setup script runs it automatically detects and installs the nvnet driver for the lan. you still have to follow the instructions about switching to console and installing the nvidia drivers. I had to make sure I changed the horiz/vertical sync options and also make sure I put the "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" in the XF86Config file before I ran the script otherwise it booted back into X and would not let me switch back out to make the changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:51 am 
Thanks for the tip! Haven't had a lot of time to dive into it yet, I'll try to read all the docs before posting again :)

Nonetheless, I'll try it out tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:38 am 
hiya, this may not belong here, but I recently bought a similar config to yours (chaintek in a sonata, pvr-250) and am waiting for it to arrive and setup. But I noticed you said you can record two shows while watching one - how do you do that with only one PVR-250 tuner? I thought you need one tuner for each recording stream? just curious. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:55 am 
If you'll look over the post agian the first thing I talked about was the card that doesn't work out of the box. A leadtek 2000xp delux. It is not hard to setup, but bttv doesn't detect it correctly so you have to manually edit a configuration file to get it to work. That card is my second tuner card.

Post subject: Leadtek configuration
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:14 pm 
Could you share the configuration you had to do to get the Leadtek card working?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:46 pm 
well my cards are out of order so my leadtek is bttv0, but the autodetect wanted to put the pvr250 at ivtv0 and the leadtek at bttv1 so I had to change those two around and then I had to edit the /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv0 file (I think that's the location, but I am calling it from memory so it may just be close.) and add
Code:
options bttv card=34 tuner=2
and thats it. You could also add gbuffers=8, but it's not neccesary.

Post subject: hey onboard sound
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:05 am 
I was looking on some other forums and they said they couldn't get duplex using the onboard sound. is this true? Would your recommend using a sound card or is onboard sufficient?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:37 am 
well the onboard works fine for me, I'm not sure what you mean by duplex, but it has no problem accepting the line input from my leadtek card and outputing it to line out at the same time. I haven't tried any fancy 5.1 stuff or anything.

Post subject: Same mobo here
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:41 pm 
I also have the chaintech 7nif2 mobo, although I'm not using it as my mythtv box. I have a Shuttlen SN41g2 as my main rig and it works great (after a BIOS update).

However, the Chaintech seems to hard lock when I use it as a test box and build it up with MythTV. Did you run across this also, and if so, what did you do to fix this? I've read about a lapic kernel option, but I have yet to recompile a kernel successfully. I have a friend of mine who is interested in this mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:11 pm 
I never experienced the lapic problem with my board. I had hard lock on install way back before the 2.4.21 kernel, but everything has been fine since then. I get lockups every once in a while, but I believe that is a problem with my harddrive. It usually seems to be a kernel oops in kswapd, but It happens so infrequently I haven't bothered looking into it recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:17 pm 
What BlOS version are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:06 pm 
I honestly have no idea. Whatever shipped on it. I will check the next time I reboot, but that really isn't too often these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:40 am 
Did you reboot yet? :)