View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Also....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:29 pm 
andysl wrote:
Can you use the sound built into the motherboard? I cant afford a sound card atm, trying to make the cheapest rig as possible..

Somehow, it doesn't work. See Human's post from about a week ago where he links to a bug report with the sound folks.

Post subject: Bummer....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:09 am 
More things to buy!! :)

Actually my old card is a Creative SB live card.. It doesn't have optical out. Does this version work??? I've noticed its listed in the wiki

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=SoundCards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:26 am 
OK.... I conceed... I just got an email from my friend and he has the Chaintech card! So I'm just getting it....

1 less potential headache :)

Thanks guys... updated list.... finalised (power supply has changed)

HDD: Seagate 320Gig IDE 16Mb
Processor AMD 3200+
1G(2x512M) Corsair Value (VS1GBKIT400)
LC10-SL-SST
16x Pioneer 111D Silver
Antec NeoHE 430
MSI N6200TC256/TD
Chaintech AV-710
TechniSat AirStar 2 DVB-T
K8N-NEO4-P MSI K8N-Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 Motherboard
CNPS7000B-ALCU Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu CPU Cooler
ZM-NB47J Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Heatsink

Post subject: Re: Also....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 pm 
andysl wrote:
Can you use the sound built into the motherboard? I cant afford a sound card atm, trying to make the cheapest rig as possible..

If you just want analog sound, sure. It will not currently work for digital sound: https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa- ... hp?id=2258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:10 pm 
Also, FYI, ZipZoomFly.com has the AV710 sound card right now. Just ordered another.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:34 am 
Would it be possible for someone to post the modification they have done for the northbridge zalman heatsink in order to get it to fit with the ASUS Extreme N6200TC256/TD. I read in this post/topic that you have to remove some of the tine off the northbridge heatsink but it would be fabulous if someone could post a picture of one...

Many thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:58 am 
mark12_30 wrote:
Would it be possible for someone to post the modification they have done for the northbridge zalman heatsink in order to get it to fit with the ASUS Extreme N6200TC256/TD.

Done!

http://mythic.tv/images/ModdedZalmanHeatsink.jpg

Post subject: Cool!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:50 am 
Ho ho ho! A picture paints a thousand words... Many thanks for that... Ripping out pliers tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:05 am 
BTW just a word of caution to anyone considering the MSI N6200TC256/TD. DO NOT GET THIS CARD if you want to pair it with the dragon mobo/specs... The card definately interferes a lot more with the zalman northbridge heatsink and will not co-exist easily with it... If you do use the card, you'll have to cut off 2 whole rows of heatsink fins!!! and even then you might have to remove some more!! Anyway.. just thought I'd pass on the warning... I've had to get mine swapped with the ASUS.

Now a quick question about the dragon, does it use the variable fan controller that comes with the Zalman CPU fan? Or is this not installed on the dragon? If its used, is this placed inside the case, or outside?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:02 am 
mark12_30 wrote:
Now a quick question about the dragon, does it use the variable fan controller that comes with the Zalman CPU fan? Or is this not installed on the dragon? If its used, is this placed inside the case, or outside?

I mounted mine outside so that I could fiddle with it. I find that I am fine running at minimum RPM (silent). I also removed the front case fan, as that was causing lots of noise because it sucks hard against the grill and all of the case switches/LEDs are right on the other side. I also removed the little 80mm fans and screwed a sheet of aluminum over that grill. I think the Dragon specs specify removing them, but looking at the airflow, I figured it would give me a better air path if I sealed them off, forcing the air to take a longer path.
Here's my output from mbmon:

Code:
root@mythtv:~# mbmon

Temp.= 39.0, 46.5, 35.0; Rot.= 1973, 1757,    0
Vcore = 2.40, 3.28; Volt. = 3.15, 5.00,  1.82,  -4.88,  1.94

As you see, I'm still running plenty cool. Heavy use and warm days raise it a few degrees, but not anything serious. Use mbmon to verify any mods! Also, sometimes I have to run mbmon twice, as it'll give wonky answers the first time (oven temperatures, 135,000 RPM, etc..). It's always fine on the second run.

Post subject: Re: Cool!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:31 am 
mark12_30 wrote:
Ho ho ho! A picture paints a thousand words... Many thanks for that...

You're very welcome!
mark12_30 wrote:
does it use the variable fan controller that comes with the Zalman CPU fan?

We do use it, set to the minimum speed, and mounted inside the case above the CPU fan on the case.
thornsoft wrote:
I also removed the front case fan, as that was causing lots of noise because it sucks hard against the grill and all of the case switches/LEDs are right on the other side.

For purchased Dragons, we leave the fan in but don't connect it to power. It's a very noisy fan if running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:05 am 
Thanks for the replies...

The build has progressed seemlessly so far... I'm only missing 1 other IDE cable for the CDrom and all will be ready for install... Also thought I'd pass this info through. The ASUS card I got did not have a capacitor in the lower part of the card which interferes with the northbridge heatsink! Yes... therefore I manage to install the graphics card without cutting off any heatsink fins... I'm using the same card as dragon 1.1, and everything fits perfectly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:14 am 
Hi,

With the Dragon v1.1, I read that it's S-Video output is not supported. Is this true?

Is it possible to use the S-Video output on the dragon?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 am 
mark12_30 wrote:
With the Dragon v1.1, I read that it's S-Video output is not supported. Is this true?

Is it possible to use the S-Video output on the dragon?

Hi! Dragon doesn't have an S-Video output, but it does have an RCA (composite) video out, which we do not enable or support. Historically, there has been little interest in enabling low-grade NTSC video output on an HDTV system, but a couple of recent enquiries have caused me to take a look at it.

On nVidia cards, it is possible to display composite video simultaneously with high-definition video, and I may just implement it automatically for Dragon's video card if it has no side-effects (like additional heat). Ideally, I'd be able to auto-detect the presence of the composite out via something like lspci and apply it in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:45 am 
Hi Human,

Having an additional output option will be nice to have... I asked the question as I've got an old tv which I may use with the dragon before I purchase an LCD TV later this year...

In the meantime I'm using the dragon with my dining area LCD tv... its a small one that I double up as a PC monitor.

Anyway.. thanks for responding... Will look to see if this is supported in future knoppix versions...

Thanks

Ps: Is there doco/info or something I can do to adjust output resolutions in knoppmyth?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next