View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: INTEL 865PE + 2.8ghz P4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:24 pm 
I installed Knoppmyth R4V2 on:

Shuttle AB60N mobo (Intel 865PE chipset)
P4 2.8ghz
512MB PC 3200 RAM (paired 2X256MB corsair)
GeforceMX 4400 with tv out
PVR-350
PVR-250

I just ordered a Nexus Speed Reduction Cable for PHT-3600, Smart Drive 2002 Hard Drive Enclosure and a Nexus P4 Quiet CPU Fan <19 dB from endpcnoise.com to make things a little more quiet.

Everything worked out of the box, except I had to run the nvidia script to get the output to TV working, otherwise X would freak out. I'm not going to try to go out to TV via the PVR-350 yet as there are extra hassles there to install as well as hassles because the TV out does not work with all of the mythtv suite yet. I do wish I could get better quality on the tv out when watching live tv though.

Still have some problems with PIP working between the 2 tuner cards, and haven't heard anthing here or on gossamer about it, but hopefully with a little research I will get that fixed.

Before I got this mobo, I was using an AMD 2600+ cpu with shuttle nforce2 mobo, but had tons of the LAPIC problems with crashes all the tiime. Sure I could have recompiled the kernel, but too much hassle so I just got a new setup.

I'd recommend that anybody who wants to avoid any hassle with setup to spend the extra $100 to get a P4 cpu with intel chipset instead of getting an AMD and rolling the dice-- it is well worth the extra $$ with the time you will save.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:56 am 
freddyman wrote:
...Everything worked out of the box, except I had to run the nvidia script to get the output to TV working,

Doesn't that make this tier 2?

"things just worked without having to edit anything"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:25 am 
well other than the fact that there is no setup possible to get tvout without editing scripts, so that would mean there is not a possibility of a tier1, so I would say this is in the right place, cause it's as close as it gets.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:29 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
well other than the fact that there is no setup possible to get tvout without editing scripts, so that would mean there is not a possibility of a tier1, so I would say this is in the right place, cause it's as close as it gets.

I'd say! Especially since my post was from back in Feb! The releases after r4v2 have been exceptional (not to knock r4v2 of course)! I can't believe soneone saw this thread in Sept.

To keep it updated, I have the same system, and installed R4V5, and just out of habit installed the nvidia stuff per the wikki, and all went well too. My only problem now is importing my tv shows I already had saved from my r4v2 system (same hardware, just a different 200GB drive).

I have another post in the proper area (installation), and hopefully I'll get some support there.

Also of note, I installed a audigy II sound card for surround sound. It works out of the box for stereo, but I have to use alsamixer on the command line to get the surround sound up to snuff. Oh oh, I guess I just made this thread go to tier 2 now. ;)

Actually I've got to dig for this one, but I just want to have the same settings for surround sound and be able to use the volume control. I'm sure here or gossamer has to have some info on that.