Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Home Built KRP Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:03 am 
Hello,

I built the dragon to the spec with the following exception:
- larger 320GB HDD - same WD3200

Install with R5A26 was a breeze with the following exceptions:

1) I swapped the IDE 0/1 cables for cleaner routing; install failed... Sol'n: CD on 1 HDD on 0
2) Dragon scripts don't recognize unit as "dragon" if the cards aren't in the *same* PCI slots. (weird?) Sol'n: Looked at photo on mythic site - matched the slot use
3) Didn't understand directions regarding "setting starting channel" on my first pass; got the black screen on "watch TV"; Sol'n: reinstall, this time understanding the directions
4) DVB_fixer.sh script didn't run automatically; so I could "Watch TV" channel "21" (for the 2.1 channel); but the DataDirect listings were all for 2_1; Sol'n: a lot of reading, then just ran DVB_fixer.sh as root
5) Backend crashes; Sol'n: delete weak stations, point little indoor antenna out the window
6) DVDs would not play; Sol'n: Added a library file with apt-get (pretty easy once I found someone that would divulge the secret)

In case you aren't familiar with the dragon HW specs:
CASE: Silverstone LC-10 HTPC case
PSU: Nexus NX-4090 400W PSU
MOTHERBOARD: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
CPU: 90nm AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 939)
RAM: VS1GBKIT400: Corsair Value Select 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR DIMM kit (2x512MB)
CPU HEATSINK: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Zalman NM-NB47J
DVD-RW: multi-format, super-quiet Plextor PX-716A
HDD: WD3200SB: Western Digital Caviar RE enterprise-class quiet 320GB HDD (Dragon used the WD2500SB)
GRAPHICS CARD: ASUS Extreme N6200TC256/TD
SOUNDCARD: Chaintech AV-710 with optical S/PDIF
TUNER CARD: pcHDTV HD-3000
REMOTE CONTROL: ATI Remote Wonder RF remote control

Thanks so far...

-Sean

Last edited by seano on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:40 am 
Nice write up. The only thing missing is what version of KnoppMyth you used...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:13 pm 
I added the version to my post - R5A26

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:50 pm 
seano wrote:
I built the dragon to the spec with the following exception:
- larger 320GB HDD - same WD3200

It's very cool that you rolled your own :) This is why we made the spec open.

seano wrote:
Install with R5A26 was a breeze with the following exceptions:

Just one note on your installation: DVB_fixer.sh isn't needed for R5A22 and will probably not be needed after R5A26. At this time, we recommend R5A22 for Dragon, though if people find this post later in a search, check my signature line for the latest recommended version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:27 pm 
sounds more like tier 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:31 pm 
khrusher wrote:
sounds more like tier 2

Well, R5A22 + our installation guide is Tier 1 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:50 am 
What was the price tag for your final build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:48 pm 
afrosheen wrote:

I'm curious to see as well. I've been specing a Dragon with a larger drive, different power supply, and an IR remote instead of the RF remote (I have an MX500 I want to program). Mine looks like it will come in at just under $1,100 not including shipping on stuff. Once I add the second HD tuner and the PVR500 for dual analog tuning it'll probably come in around $1,500.

You can take a look my KnoppMyth Reference Wishlist on newegg if you'd like. The ATSC cards and remote I'm planning on getting from mythic.tv. I think the only thing I'm gonna have to track down is the Northbridge cooler (saw it at some random web store for like $10).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:56 pm 
afrosheen wrote:

LOL - Please don't make me price it out...

I bought everything sans the power supply and ATSC cards from NewEgg.
The power supply and ATSC cards I bought from Mythic - since they gave me the parts list I figured I owed them at least a *little* business.

The NewEgg price seemed really great until shipping and taxes (I live in CA) - and then I was all emotionally committed so I bought the stuff.

And then I bought a PVR-150 from Fry's (semi-local electronics store).

And then I bought an antenna, and then another antenna, and then I returned that antenna, and bought another antenna, and then I returned that antenna. I'm going to buy another antenna this weekend. My new hobby is buying and returning UHF antennas. I'm learning that indoor antennas don't work in my city...

-seano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:17 pm 
seano wrote:
And then I bought an antenna, and then another antenna, and then I returned that antenna, and bought another antenna, and then I returned that antenna. I'm going to buy another antenna this weekend. My new hobby is buying and returning UHF antennas. I'm learning that indoor antennas don't work in my city...

Indoor antennas don't tend to work well almost anywhere, unless you live like 2 miles from the transmitter. I really like my Channel Master 4221. I had it in the attic for awhile. That was OK, but it really shines now that I sucked it up and stuck it on the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:57 pm 
pkscout wrote:
Indoor antennas don't tend to work well almost anywhere, unless you live like 2 miles from the transmitter. I really like my Channel Master 4221. I had it in the attic for awhile. That was OK, but it really shines now that I sucked it up and stuck it on the roof.

I live like 3.1 miles from the transmitter - there are just a lot of buildings between us.

My indoor worked great in the room where I setup the mythbox - but is really sucking in the living room.

I'm planning on a roof antenna - probably the Channel Master that everyone is raving about (not sure if its the same as you have) - my indoor antenna on the roof would probably work really well. ;)

-seano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:39 pm 
This is almost the exact same as my system with the exception of the heatsinks, case, and remote. I went with the LC10M case which comes with a remote. So far, R5A22 is the closest I've come to getting this thing working. I get picture that is sometimes jerky and no sound. Previous versions of KnoppMyth did not even get that far (no picture and no sound). I am currently downloading R5A26 and plan on installing it once it finishes. If this works, I will be ecstatic. If not, I will just wait for the next iteration and try again.

Post subject: Avoid paying taxes.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 pm 
seano wrote:
The NewEgg price seemed really great until shipping and taxes

In the future, to avoid taxes, you can ship it to my address. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:15 am 
pkscout wrote:
afrosheen wrote:

I'm curious to see as well. I've been specing a Dragon with a larger drive, different power supply, and an IR remote instead of the RF remote (I have an MX500 I want to program). Mine looks like it will come in at just under $1,100 not including shipping on stuff. Once I add the second HD tuner and the PVR500 for dual analog tuning it'll probably come in around $1,500.

You can take a look my KnoppMyth Reference Wishlist on newegg if you'd like. The ATSC cards and remote I'm planning on getting from mythic.tv. I think the only thing I'm gonna have to track down is the Northbridge cooler (saw it at some random web store for like $10).

Love the reference wishlist...might be a nice thread for the experienced users to post their specs on systems that work in wishlist format.

Nice job! Thanks!
d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:24 am 
This is what the Tier 1 and Tier 2 hardware recommendations are for, and why I've been badgering people to fill out the standard form with full details.

Given the all the parts with model numbers and the like you can look up prices on NewEgg or PriceGrabber or Mwave or ... Also since the prices can change wildly and quickly what I paid for an Atlhon64 3200+, or 512Mb of RAM, or a 250Gb HD may be substantially more (or less) than the current price.

Back when I built my first KM box I shopped my tail off to find storage for $0.50/Gb, and now you can find it for $0.34 /Gb without breaking a sweat.