View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:08 pm 
[UPDATE 3-29-2006 ]

Currently running the same hardware with R5Beta7. I have also been able to make the PVR-350 output work so that I don't need a VGA anymore. I have a script available that will help those of you who need to make PVR-350 out work (and I was told that KnoppMyth versions after R5B7 will include it's own). If you need PVR-350 out help, see here:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3886

[UPDATE 2 7-10-2004 ]

Since using KnoppMyth R4v4.1, my system works even better. No occasional lockups anymore. I've also installed an NEC 2510A DVD DL drive and can now burn shows to DVD directly from the same box. I use the mythtvburn software to create the DVD directory and ISO image, then the growisofs command to burn to a +RW DVD. I'm finally able to move all of the (119) saved Seinfeld episodes off the disk and onto DVD.

[UPDATE]

3/12/04 - I updated the shuttle bios to 025. It has some fiixes related to IDE DMA...hmmm...sounds like this could be the culprit. I have not had a lockup since the update. Previously, it would lock up between 1 and 2 shows being recorded. I'll follow up with longer term results later.

3/13/03 - Still running fine. I think the BIOS update on the Shuttle system did the trick. I did not need to recompile the kernel for the lapic issue as found in other posts.

At this point, I think this system is rock solid.
[/UPDATE]

Runs perfect. Black SFF pc, suitable for the entertainment center.

Although no "editing" of files is required, a single "copy" command for setting up the video out does the trick. I've elected to put this in TIER 1 instead of TIER 2 because of this. 2 Commands are listed so that you can backup your working X config file:

Code:
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.original
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.nvidia-tvout.sample /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Use a good quality S-VIDEO cable for good picture output. I have mine running into my Sony 61" rear projection TV. Looks very nice. I've heard the tv out quality from the pvr-350 is much better than using the nvidia svideo out, so one day, when things are more stable for this, I'll give that a try. For the moment, I'm content with having everything work and using the tv out of the built-in video on the Shuttle system.

Bought a cheap wireless kbd/mouse combo from CompUSA that plugs into the ps/2 ports. I can now do web browsing and PVR stuff. I've returned this and I'm now using the "Gyration" wireless kbd and mouse. A bit pricey, but it works better (longer range) and the mouse can be used without having it rest on a surface. Perfect for lounging on the couch and browsing the web. Keyboard is a laptop quality keyboard, but it's nice and small (without the keypad part to make it less wide).

I priced out all the parts for a nice looking system using the following parts on Newegg for those who would like to have a system that is guaranteed to work and look nice and have some $$ to spend on this (wireless keyboard not included). Prices are for 3/8/04

----------------------------------------------------------------
QTY: DESC: PRICE:
1 Shuttle SN41G2B barebones 239.99
1 AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 80.00
2 GEIL PC-2700 256MB RAM 76.00
1 Hauppauge PVR-350 179.00
1 WD800JB 80Gig 8MB cache 71.00
1 LiteOn Black DVD-ROM 30.00

TOTAL: 675.99

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than the 2500+ Barton chip (I have an XP 2600+), this is the exact system that I currently have that is attached to my 61" Sony via SVIDEO.

Everything works, with the only problem at this point is some DVD ripping (some worked, some didn't). Investigating this. I installed the library required for this already, so something else is going on.

I will probably write up a HOWTO on building this system from scratch so that those who want to do this and don't have extensive Linux knowledge can build this system using parts that are known to work. There are many doc's already on this posted at this site and others, but my focus will be specifically tailored to the parts mentioned above.

Last edited by SnapperDragon on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:43 pm 
Can you tell us what the single "copy" command was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:47 pm 
I struggled for quite a while with an almost identical system, mostly over that miserable BIOS upgrade. :( See my notes under Tier 2.

BTW - To flash the BIOS without MS-DOS or Windows, and without a floppy drive required burning two CDs: 1) The most recent stable Freedos ISO 2) another disk with the BIOS update image and the Phoenix DOS update utility.

Also, an 80Gb drive doesn't really provide enough space.

Post subject: Disk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:41 pm 
Obviously, get the largest disk you can afford. The example I show has an 80 gig disk, but I agree that you will not be happy with this if you like to save a lot of shows or dump your CD's or DVD's into your Myth box. I'm currently using a 250 gig disk in my system, but even this is now 1/2 full since I've set it up to record all the Seinfeld's it can find. Geez...

Last edited by SnapperDragon on Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:21 am 
Thanks for the details! I've got just about the exact same setup - very helpful. The only issue I came across was that I couldn't watch live or recorded TV until I did an 'apt-get update'. I know that's not recommended, but it fixed my problem and my system seems stable so far.

I tried getting the TV out on the PVR-350 working, but ended up trashing the system and stating over.

Now my next challenge is to try to get my USB wifi adapter working (SMC 2662W v3).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:27 am 
Quote:
The only issue I came across was that I couldn't watch live or recorded TV until I did an 'apt-get update'.

you do realize apt-get update doesn't do anything or at least not anything that would fix a problem. It just downloads a list of all the latest available programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:52 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
you do realize apt-get update doesn't do anything or at least not anything that would fix a problem. It just downloads a list of all the latest available programs.

Nope, didn't realize that. This project goes on record as the first time I've ever touched Linux. All I know is that on each of my two installs, before I did the apt-get update, it didn't work, and afterward, it did. Maybe I'm just making a connection between two totally unrelated things because they happened next to each other. But it works. Did anybody else that has this same hardware configuration have this problem where they initially couldn't get TV out?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:54 pm 
SnapperDragon wrote:
[UPDATE 2 7-10-2004 ]

I'm now using the "Gyration" wireless kbd and mouse. A bit pricey, but it works better (longer range) and the mouse can be used without having it rest on a surface. Perfect for lounging on the couch and browsing the web. Keyboard is a laptop quality keyboard, but it's nice and small (without the keypad part to make it less wide).

Did you have to do anything special to install this device? I have the keyboard mouse usb wireless combo also and it doesnt want to turn on. Its like the usb doesnt work correctly. Normal usb mouse works but I cant get this one to work. It works on Win XP just plug in and go. Green light very active and receiving signals. but it just wont seem to work with mythtv and my knoppix install.. Latest version knoppix r4v5.

help?

dion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 pm 
No, I don't recall doing anything special.

I've since returned this kbd/mouse in favor of an IR one. I found that for me, the exact place where I want to use it there is some kind of weird interference and the mouse/kbd is sticky. Also, I realized that having 2 items for console (mouse separate from kbd) was not exactly working out for me.

I ended up getting this IR kbd/trackball combo...1 unit. This works out perfectly for me. I've posed this on another thread with where to get it. Also, I had a hard time typing effectively on the smallish kdb of the Graviton. This unit has normal sized keys.

Here is that link:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1083

I have to say, I am still using it to this day, and I'm only on my second set of batteries. I use it infrequently, though, but this hardware works perfect for me. This device has an IR dongle that is PS/2 instead of USB.

Sorry, wish I could help you more on your Graviton setup.