View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:50 am 
KnoppMyth made my job really easy for getting MythTV to work. I hope that anything I describe here my be useful for someone else.

System Spec's:
Code:
MotherBoard: Abit Kt7 Raid
CPU: AMD Athlon T-Bird 1200 MHz
RAM: SD-PC-133 512MB
Video Card: nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB
Sound: Sound Blaster Live!
TV Capture Card: Hauppauge PVR-150
Distro: KnoppMyth 0.19, FluxBox
Kernel: 2.6.15-chw-2

This machine is running dedicated only to MythTV, so all of its power it used for just that. Because I only do hardware MPEG-2 with my video card, the CPU usage never really rises above 10%. I transcode my files on a seperate system.

While starting KnoppMyth from CD the first time, I had a kernel module loading error. It was, ironically, the one module I really needed, IVTV. This turned out to because the CDR I had burned KnoppMyth onto was stratched, but a second CD without scratches fixed that.

After that the install was really straightforward and clean. However, I could do would get my PVR-150-MCE colors to autodetect on their own (or correctly). I fixed this eventually by going through the MythTV-Web interface of my machine. In my case, I set my KnoppMyth box to always get the IP of 168.254.0.120. So to access the web-interface, on my other computers, all I had to do was open up a webbrowser and type in the address 168.254.0.120. I then went through "MythTV" -> "Settings" -> "MythTV Channel Info." I could then set any color and video preferences from there. In my case, I eventually found the colors that match the proper colors (as referenced from DVD video sources against my TV-Cable captures).

Code:
My optimum colors:
* Brightness : 23685
* Constrast: 40781
* Saturation: 38715

Some minor tweaks I made to MythTV itself. I let MythTV use the default directory for storing TV-video (/mythtv/tv). I edited my /etc/fstab to mount my big harddrive into /mythtv/tv on bootup, so that MythTV records right to it. Its not a big deal, but I prefer this than having to use MythTV itselt to change the video storage location and settings.

Lastly, Samba Shares. Now, I really knew nothing about Samba when I first started to use KnoppMyth. In KDE, sharing folders over the network is easy as "Right Click On Folder -> Share". However, FluxBox had no such option. Irritation and annoyance followed my attempts to quickly learn samba and setup the necessary network shares.

I will condense down my work to a few short and useful instructions for getting samba shares setup on your MythTV box VERY quickly and VERY easily.

First, make sure 'samba' is installed. You can use 'apt-get install samba' for this. Next I used this program (called TAJ or Take-A-Joint). Here is the link: http://www.linux-fuer-alle.de/mr/taj/

Mostly, there are two parts to the program, taju (for users) and taja (for admins). Its about 4 simple steps to make samba on your comptuer ready for this program (its very simple).

Quote:
1) Compile the program from the source, which should work essentially anywhere. Its written in ANSI C, so its about as universal as you get.
2) Make sure the user has been added to the samba user list with the 'smbpasswd -a USER', and set whatever password you want. I don't know if samba stores your passwords in plain text somewhere or not, so be careful.
3) Add this one line to your /etc/samba/smb.conf file, anywhere in the section [global], the line is 'include = /etc/taj/samba.inc.conf'.
4) Then set the user access, example 'taja --add user --name USER --access=owner --writeable', that's assuming you want the user to be able to have write access to any of his shares. See that website documentation on advanced options, but this works for most users.

You are done! An example of creating a share: user@host[/home/user/]$ taju --add --name MYTHTV_SHARES --path /myth/tv --writeable

This program saved me a lot of headache and time. I hope this helps someone