View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:05 pm 
Motherboard: Asus A8N-VM CSM
Processor: Athlon64 Venice 3200+ (socket 939)
Memory: 1GB, as a pair of 512MB Corsair modules
Capture card: PCHDTV PC5500
Case/Remote: Silverstone LC-11M with iMon Pad USB remote
Video: Built-in nVidia 6150
Sound: Built-in
Network: Zyxel AG-225 (yes, I'm the one person using 802.11a)

This was a bear.

* SATA support. I had to add the sata_nv driver to initrd. (process detailed elsewhere). That's just to get the installed image to boot.

* Filesystem: I used JFS for /myth. I have swap turned off, which seems to improve LiveTV performance.

* Video. Needed drivers more current than those on the machine. Obtained from nVidia.

* PC5500 drivers. Installed from pchdtv.com

* Remote: I found a patch for the lirc_imon driver from Simon Kenyon which would make the mouse pad work, and a .lircd/lircrc for it. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It appears Soundgraph has changed their remote, and this one has a completely different set of codes. I figured them out and modified the patch and it works. However, I cannot recommend this remote; my Harmony can't reproduce its codes properly (though it tries) and I'd definitely prefer discrete cursor keys to the pad. If I do it again, I'll go with the LC-11 case and put an RC5-compatible receiver in place of the hard disk activity LED. The PCHDTV-5500 comes with one but has no internal connections for it and would require a new driver.

* Network: I was a bit limited here; 802.11a adapters are thin on the ground and (except PCMCIA), tend to be expensive. The open source zd1211 driver didn't work with 802.11a out of the box, but I patched it and it works now. However, KnoppMyth expects a wlanctl_ng compatible driver, which this isn't. I didn't try to fix this properly; instead, I manually removed the wlanctl_ng scripts and put my info in /etc/network/interfaces.

* Sound: Sound worked without hacking. Yay.

* MythTV SVN: The setup worked with the MythTV provided, but to use both analog and digital tuners requires the current MythTV.

* Distro: Partially through, I decided it was definitely worth it to make a new CD. This incorporates the zd1211 driver, the first cut at the remote (before I found out mine was different), the SATA fix, the new NVIDIA drivers and the PC5500 drivers. To make room I removed the i586 binaries. Starting from that baseline I made the rest of the changes.

* Unresolved issues: Volume control and mute don't work. I haven't tried to diagnose because I intend to use a receiver. Switching analog channels causes me to lose sound; this happens on my test PC running tvtime as well, so it's probably not KnoppMyth nor motherboard related (easy fix would be to hack it to close and re-open the input sound device when changing channels; that works on the test PC). I haven't managed to merge my QAM channel list with the Zap2It listings; this is a MythTV issue, not a KnoppMyth issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:19 pm 
I also had the muted audio after changing channels - until I updated the ALSA sound drivers to 1.0.11.

I made a single-use script to update to version 1.0.11 ALSA drivers. Just paste this into a text file and call it 'alsa11update.sh' or something like that. Then call it by typing "sh alsa11update.sh".
After it's done, run the 'aslamixer' program and you can unmute your sound channels using arrow keys and the M key.
Code:
cd /usr/src
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.11.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-1.0.11.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.11.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/alsa-utils-1.0.11.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/tools/alsa-tools-1.0.11.tar.bz2

bunzip2 alsa-driver-1.0.11.tar.bz2
bunzip2 alsa-lib-1.0.11.tar.bz2
bunzip2 alsa-plugins-1.0.11.tar.bz2
bunzip2 alsa-utils-1.0.11.tar.bz2
bunzip2 alsa-tools-1.0.11.tar.bz2

tar -xvf alsa-driver-1.0.11.tar
tar -xvf alsa-lib-1.0.11.tar
tar -xvf alsa-plugins-1.0.11.tar
tar -xvf alsa-utils-1.0.11.tar
tar -xvf alsa-tools-1.0.11.tar

cd /usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.11
./configure
make
make install
make clean

cd /usr/src/alsa-lib-1.0.11
./configure
make
make install
make clean

cd /usr/src/alsa-utils-1.0.11
./configure
make
make install
make clean

cd /usr/src/alsa-plugins-1.0.11
./configure
make
make install
make clean

cd /usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.11
./snddevices

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner