# Type of system: [combined front- and back-end]
# Noise level: [I can barely hear it from 5 feet away]

# CASE: Silverstone Lascala LC17S
# PSU: Tagan TG420-U01
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
# CPU: AMD Sempron64 2800+ S754
# RAM: 1GB, 2x 512MB Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 DDR DIMM
# CPU HEATSINK: Artic Cooling Freezer64
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: Zalman Blue N/Bridge ZM-NB47J (Replaces dead Asus Fan+HS)
# CD/DVD-RW: LG GSA-4163 DVD-RW
# HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 200GB (/, swap and /myth), Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N 80GB (/myth/music)
# GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GeForce PCX6600 256MB PCI-E
# SOUNDCARD: Onboard Realtek ALC850
# TUNER CARD: 2x Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T, Hauppauge WinTV PVR350
# REMOTE CONTROL:Hauppauge A415-HPG, Red-Eye Serial for STB control

The above system previously ran in a dfferent case and a WinTV Theatre instead of the PVR350 under KnoppMyth R5A30.1 I decided to to a clean install of R5D1 due to partition requirement changes between MythTV 0.18 and 0.19 and the hardware changes.

When installing 5D1, I noticed the following lines appearing very early on in the boot process:
Code:
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region1 of device 0000:01:00.0
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #1: 40000000@C00000 for 0000:01:00.0

The Boot process appered continue OK, though complaining about not able to detect ALSA mixer devices, on reboot there was an error message from the nVidia install about not being able to detect the video card.
After playing about with KnoppMyth 5B1, 5A30.2 and Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06. I was able to pin down the problem to some kind of change in the kernel.
After Googling, I was able to track down the following item where pci=nommconf needs to be passed to the kernel.

So rebooting with 5D1 with knoppmyth pci=nommconf at the LILO prompt, everything seemed to be set up and installed OK. I added pci=nommconf to the Append line in the /etc/lilo.conf file, unfortunately I forgot to run lilo, so when the system rebooted it did not detect the PCI devices correctly. After logging on as root, running lilo then rebooting everything seen to go OK.

When setting up the PVR350, the default input was shown to be DVB and did not allow the selection of the Tuner/Composite/S-Video input, so after more Googling I found this site that informed me that issuing the following command:
Code:
ivtvctl -m -d /dev/videoN

would allow me to find out which device was the PVR350. In this case I found it to be /dev/video2. This allowed me to select the appropriate input for the card and connect the appropriate Video Source to.

I copied the Red-Eye serial program to /usr/local/bin along with a script to allow it to be invoked from MythTV:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/red_eye /dev/ttyS0 $1 2
exit 0

This was added to the channel change script line in the "Input Connections" part of the setup (/usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh).

When setting up the transports for the DVB cards, the scans did not find all the muxes that should be there. So using the info from here I created a channels.conf file.

After the rest of the channels were set up, the frontend was then run.

Even though apparently the correct remote was set up at startup, the Hauppage remote did not work. Following the instructions here for setting up the remote, executing:
Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I found that the remote sensor was /dev/input/event3 . So modifying /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, /etc/lirc/lircd and ~/.mythtv/lircrc and restarting lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc restart). All the rest of the keys worked, but not the numerics. Running:
Code:
irrecord lircd.conf.new --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event3

Allowed me to reset the values. Apparently all the key values between the two lircd.conf files were the same except the values from the numeric keypad.

The line in fstab was modified to allow the mounting of the 2nd hard drive under /myth/music:
Code:
/dev/hdb1 /myth/music ext3 defaults,auto 0 2

The drive was mounted and MythMusic scan was ran.

To use the Video out for PAL 50Hz Interlaced, Composite Video, the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file was modified with the following:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        Option  "DPMS"  "true"
        Option  "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
        Option  "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
        Option  "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
        Option  "NoLogo" "1"
#       Option  "TVOverScan" "0.8"
        Option  "IgnoreEDID"

VendorName      "Sony"
        ModelName       "KD-28DL10U"

HorizSync       11.5-72
        VertRefresh     15-120

#720x576 Modes (5:4)
        Modeline "720x576@50i" 12.58 720 752 792 824 576 589 592 605 interlace #Horizontal sync frequency: 15.26 kHz
#1024x576 Modes (16:9)
        Modeline "1024x576@50i" 17.46 1024 1056 1120 1152 576 589 592 605 interlace +hsync +vsync #Horizontal sync frequency: 15.15kHz Dot clock 17.46 MHz

EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
#       DefaultColorDepth 16

DefaultColorDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
#               Modes "800x600" "640x480"

Modes "720x576@50i" "1024x576@50i"

EndSubSection
EndSection

Unfortunately it appears that the Composite and S-Video output does not allow a widescreen mode. I've tried using a self built adaptor to give RGB-VGA to RGB-SCART, but I am unable to create an adequate ModeLine for 720x576 50Hz interlaced, nevermind 1024x576.

I've still got to set up the lirc keys for mplayer which is used as default video player.

Hope some part of this this helps someone.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1