Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:31 am 
Mobo: Asus CUSL2
CPU: Intel PIII 1000
RAM: 512MB PC133
PSU: Older Enermax 350W
HDD: 80GB IDE system
120GB IDE data
Vid Capture: Hauppauge PVR150 with radio (non MCE)
Hauppage PVR250 with remote (non MCE)
TV Out: nVidia GeForce FX5200 AGP - using S-Video out
Audio: Creative SB Live! (CT4760)
Network: Older IBM Netfinity 10/100
Optical: LG DVD-RW
Case: Silverstone LC16M with VFD display, remote, front panel buttons, added SilenX 80mm fan at rear

Problems:
The install went very smoothly except the PVR150 was not detected correctly. Editing the ivtv config file and adding the line
'options ivtv tuner=-1,50'
to /etc/modprobe.conf did the trick. The PVR150 was the second tuner (50) and the PVR250 was set on autodetect (-1).

Getting the VFD to work took a fair bit of tinkering with the configuration file for LCDd. The instructions at the venky site are good, but I only got the standalone driver functioning. I was unable to upgrade lirc easily (error message about non-standard kernel) so the additional features of the LC16M will have to wait.

Good things!:
The base install was great. I first tried with R5C3 and had difficulties I couldn't solve right away, fortunately R5D1 came out the next weekend.

This system is running the frontend and backend - recording on both cards and watching a recorded show is fine, but commercial flagging uses most of the resources and causes jumpy video and slow OSD changing channels on live tv.

Burn DVD function works great!

The Hauppauge (silver dog-bone) remote worked with no tweaks. Just had to copy the canned config file for the appropriate remote. I'm not happy with the controls in dvd playback so I will have to modify the file to suit my taste.

Added a 'Close Tray' option to the optical menu. Very easy to read and update.

On my to-do list:
Customize remote config
Install MythRadio
Replace the noisy CPU fan
Customize bootable front end image with wireless driver and custom settings for laptop
Move backend to different machine
Solder together an IR transmitter to shut off TV from remote
Modify MythWeather to use a more reliable data source

Overall I was very pleased with the install process of KnoppMyth. It was well documented and the on-screen prompts were helpful. I'm really enjoying the system! If anyone has any questions about my setup let me know.