View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Hauppauge PVRUSB2 Works
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:02 am 
It's not a simple plug-and-play but the driver over at http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html works very nicely in mythtv.

!!Do not confuse this device with the WINTV USB2!!

This is an excellent option for low-power machines and laptops with video out as all of the decoding is done on the usb2 device. Remote works perfectly. The cpu overhead is practically non-existent. Sets up in mythtv easily. Stereo audio works great.

Device does not support subtitles. Nor do any of hauppauge's usb tv tuning devices.

Pay careful attention to the following requirements:

You *must* have a kernel built from sources on the box. The driver builds against compiled/installed kernel sources

You should have a usb2 port. It works much better on usb2. Expansion cards are cheap enough.

You *must* follow his instructions carefully with one exception. He claims his perl script for pulling the firmware out works easily. Well, it doesn't. You need to point the script at the right file on the win32 driver disk you got with the device. The name of which escapes me. Just contact me off list. m_nospam_ AT Ya_stillnospam_ hoo.com and I'll send them along.

As of (3/07) they are supposed to be able to freely distribute the firmwares with the driver, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Last edited by mpapet on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: email correction
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:56 pm 
Screwed up my own email m_no spam_papet AT ya_no spam_hoo.com.

just pull the _ bits out and you'll reach me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:00 am 
I did a new install of R5E50 from CD-ROM and it kind of works with my pvrusb2 using whatever driver is in that release. I'm using two of the older 29xxx models.

When the system boots it never recognizes the the two pvrusb2's that I have plugged in. Dmesg says it needs a power cycle. So I unplug the power or USB plug and re-plug it back in. Then it recognizes the device. Kind of a hassle if I have to reboot because lircd doesn't start because of this, so I have to go into a shell and start it manually. I have another problem as well with the backend, but I think it's related to something else. I have to do a restart command for some reason. I think I read something in another thread about that.

Anyways, do think it would fix my problems of the pvrusb2 device not being recognized after a reboot if I install that other driver?

I looked at instructions/documentation and it looks complicated (I'm still a noob - I just converted my pvr system from MS MCE 2005 to KnoppMyth on Saturday). I think I need one of those how to's with the step by step, exactly what to type in sort of thing to get the driver going.

Post subject: Not Too Complicated
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:14 am 
I used a later version of the driver and didn't have that problem. Does it register two devices? /dev/video0 and /dev/video1?

Double-check and see if the module will build against the kernel headers.

I'm not sure if knoppmyth has a kernel headers package, but it's work a look.

1. As root (su) in a terminal, type apt-cache update

2. In a terminal, type "apt-cache search headers" Something like 2.6.18-kernel-headers should be in the list that follows.

3. In the same terminal type "apt-get install kernel-headers-package-name"

4. Download whatever the latest driver is extract it with tar -xvf name.of.file.tar.gz

5. follow Mike's instructions.