View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R4V3 on P3-550 + PVR-350
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:32 pm 
I'm using an old Asus motherboard with a P3-550 slot 1 processor. It has a Soundblaster Live! and an nVidia TNT2 based video card with a TV out, but neither are really used for anything. It has a Netgear tulip based network card and a Hauppage PVR-350.

Installations was fairly easy but I could only use the monitor from the video card, at first. Whenever I tried to use the PVR-350's tv out, I got a blank screen. I finally ran across a post on this board about how the second fb device file is screwed up and fixed that. I also found that I needed to load the kernel modules for the PVR-350's decoder, so I modified /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv to add these three lines:
Code:
options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
add below ivtv saa7127 tuner
add above ivtv ivtv-fb
Then, I found out that there was a sample Xwindows config specially for the PVR-350. I modified it just to tell it what kind of mouse I had (config for that mouse was already set up, though). And, voila! Even an old 550 MHz system can record & playback with high quality!

I did go in and change the size of the Xwindows display, but I did this from within the myth frontend, so I consider that to be post installation. :)

I do still have one issue, but I already know that it's a problem with the ivtv driver and I'm hoping it'll be fixed soon. I used apt-get to upgrade to the latest version, and that was pretty painless but I don't know if it fixed anything or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:20 pm 
How did up upgrade ivtv using apt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:12 am 
It was my first real use of using apt-get, so I don't remember exactly, but I think I did this:

apt-get update
apt-get install ivtv

I'm pretty sure I saw how to do it on this forum, somewhere. I also might have just used the man page for apt-get.

It installed several things at that time, mostly newer version of ivtv related things, like the perl module, along with the actual ivtv release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:33 am 
are you sure when you ran that command that it didn't tell you ivtv could not be found and do nothing? I am not aware of any sources packaging ivtv, and even if they did it would have to be kernel specific packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:49 pm 
No, I'm not sure. I thought it installed something, but I could be wrong. :)

If it installed nothing, then I guess I did even less (useful) work. I do know that the latest version is, indeed, installed, so I just assumed that it was from the apt-get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:23 pm 
I think you must have gotten it from somewhere else, unless you have a non-default apt source:

apt-get install ivtv
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ivtv

What version do you have? Is it stable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:38 pm 
I'm running 0.1.9. It's...er...sort of stable. :D As long as I don't try to do much while it's recording, it has no problems. I'm hopeful that the 0.1.10 release fixes this problem.

And I know I did two commands, I think the first was apt-get update (which, from what I understand, just goes out and gets a list of all the available updates). But I didn't tell it to go anywhere non-standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:40 pm 
0.1.9 has been in knoppmyth since I think R4 but at least R4v2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:10 pm 
"Whenever I tried to use the PVR-350's tv out, I got a blank screen. I finally ran across a post on this board about how the second fb device file is screwed up and fixed that"

I think I am having the same problem... can you please tell me exactly how you fixed this problem... Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:02 pm 
You might be referring to the permissions problem. I think the mythtv user needs to have permissions on the fb device you're using. Search the forums for chmod and pvr-350 and you should find the right thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:16 am 
Nope. It was a screwed up minor number on the device /dev/fb1. If you're having the same problem I am, you should find your answer on this post:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9628#9628

I think this is only an issue if you have a video card that has tv out, but you're not going to use it for playback of video.