View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R5F1
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:33 pm 
I skipped R5E and just upgraded R5D->R5F. Not bad, but not as successful as last time (Tier 1).

P4 3.0ghz + ASUS mb
nVidia fx5200
DLink D520(?) 802.11g
Two DVICO fusionHDTV DVB-T lite tuner cards
MCE remote
Dual Layer DVD (LG i think?)
Samsung plasma via DVI

I hit the following

-no madwifi setup. Had to do the config files by hand (automatically worked in R5D).

-didn't setup the remote properly. Had to fix hardware.conf by hand (worked in R5D). Running lirc-reconfig.sh didn't fix it.

-bunch of scary errors about the restore failing, and some other things. Scrolled by way to fast to catch the details. Would be a nice option for scripts to pause for a key when they hit an error. But at the end the errors didn't seem to matter.

-Tried Mytharchive -- fails because no temp directory set. But at least the error is informative so it's easy to fix. Mytharchive is running now , we'll see how it goes.

-Tried to rip a DVD - failed. Not much in the way of useful info. Will investigate later. (yes i've installed pineapple).

-Like my setup, i'm sure it's getting more common for people to have screens connected via DVI that are autoprobed for their modelines. Would be nice to have a config step where you select a video mode from the probed ones, instead of having to dig around in xorg.conf.

-The big scary warning that /dev/hda1 is being formatted and you'll loose everything could possibly be improved. Like telling people they aren't going to lose all their media ;)

-internal DVD player. First attemps were 99% crap. Disks just don't work, seem to lock up, menu crazyness..... Then i tried turning off XvMC. Big improvement. Most work now. Still some menu inconsistencies and weirdness. Some NTSC disks play with a 1 second surge like there's a bad/missing 3:2 pulldown in the playback.

Thats all for now.
j

Post subject: Re: R5F1
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:28 am 
jayb282 wrote:
-didn't setup the remote properly. Had to fix hardware.conf by hand (worked in R5D). Running lirc-reconfig.sh didn't fix it.

Details? It's really hard to make this stuff more automatic without them. There's also post-install directions in the R5F1 hints and hazards posting about how to restore your old LIRC files...

jayb282 wrote:
-bunch of scary errors about the restore failing, and some other things. Scrolled by way to fast to catch the details. Would be a nice option for scripts to pause for a key when they hit an error. But at the end the errors didn't seem to matter.

Look in the /var/log/restore.log file. This is also documented in the R5F1 hints and hazards posting.

BTW - Could you please fill in the hardware detail template from the sticky posting. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:28 pm 
Please see this thread regarding the errors from the restore - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15246

If the differences in your /var/log/restore.log logfile match as described there, you can safely ignore the error. I'm still trying to come up with a good fix for this false alarm.

Post subject: R5F1 Install
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:15 am 
Let me preface this with <Noob>.

I can't find the xorg.conf file. It's not in the directory they say, so I can't edit it. Which, as soon as my system boots, it goes into "Out of Range" for my Television. I'm doing a test run with an older Gateway Destination TV. I know...but if I can use for ANYTHING, I'd keep it till the $$$ comes in to upgrade, till then I'm stuck with it.

Basically I know the TV/Monitor won't do anything above 800x600. I can't set the boot option to go into this mode though, because the /etc/X11 directory is not on my system? Again, I'm a Linux noob :cry: but am excited about learning so...any help would be awesome. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:06 am 
- Login as root. There are a number of ways to do this. I'll refer you to the LinuxTips page on the wiki for now.

- Enter the following commands:
cd /etc/X11/
Remember _case matters_ in Unix/Linux. Next run the command
ls -al xorg*
The output from those should look something like this:
Code:
root@black2:~# cd /etc/X11/
root@black2:/etc/X11# ls -al xorg*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4389 Apr 14 10:41 xorg.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13160 Aug 22 23:05 xorg.conf.1st
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4659 May  8  2006 xorg.conf.in
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13400 Dec 13  2006 xorg.conf.nvidia.tv.out.sample

BTW - You haven't provided much details. Have you installed the latest version (R5F1 at this time)? http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13537

Did you follow the R5F1 Hints posting linked in my signature block?

What is you hardware like? (Agian detail matters.)

Post subject: Details
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:45 am 
I was embarrassed to give the details of my computer, but here goes:

It's the old Gateway Destination System, Celeron 400 with 384 MB Ram. I have an ATI graphics TV card and DVD rom that I just replaced. Basically I'm using it as our TV, cause for $50, I couldn't find a bigger TV (36" behemoth.) We're going to get a new Flat Panel, so I won't need the computer anymore (only way I can get TV to the Monitor is through the computer) but I would like to have a HTPC and thought I would give it a try on this hardware to learn. It a hard uphill I know. But I just don't have the money to buy new equipment right now and would like to try with what I have.

I think the case sensitive thing is what got me...I'll try that at lunch and get back to you.

Thanks and don't laugh at my hardware! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:55 pm 
Hi,

I would suggest that you start a different thread in the main forum somewhere. This area is more reserved for "quicky" status, ie used this and this but had to tweak ... Yours is going to require a bit more care and feeding.

I like old hardware, understand the limits and what it can do. Great for learning :)

Mike