View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:13 am 
The installer worked pretty well out of the box. Note: when using a Compaq Deskpro with 686T2 firmware, make sure you enable bus-mastering or PVR-250 won't load, and change all the IRQs to not be the same for all PCI devices.

Had to apt-get the xfs filesystem and tools, then partition the second HD (WDC 160GB) with /tv_cache and /tv partitions then mkfs.xfs and fix /etc/fstab. Re-ran mythtv-setup to point the content folders at the new locations. Had to muck about a bit with chmod and chown to get the file permissions correct on the new content folders. Too bad this distro doesn't have the standard Debian partman built in, it's pretty fly for a white guy.

lircd worked great out of the box (which I why I tried KnoppMyth-- I couldn't get lircd to work on Debian Sarge i386)

Had to recompile ivtv to get sound output working. Compiled wihout any glitches. alsa is happy now.

Had to fix busted symlink for kernel sources.

Here is a link to my working XF86Config-4 that boots directly to the TV-Out. Note that GLX is commented out because it won't work on this kernel (AFAIK). http://www.kellytadams.com/images/XF86Config-4

Had to downgrade nvidia drivers to NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run to remove the blue lines on left and top of display while showing live TV.

I could never get Linuxant's driverloader to work with my Linksys WMP54G Wifi card, so I ended up using a 3Com NIC and a Netgear wifi bridge. Consequently, Apache is not happy, but I'm not worried :wink:

All in all, a positive distro that is a helluva lot easier than installing MythTV on a fresh Debian platform. When playing live NTSC (720x480) TV, CPU load is around only 30%. I highly recommend XFS for your cache and stored tv filesystems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:15 am 
Added pics and a brief write-up on my blog here:
http://www.kellytadams.com/mt-archives/000202.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:02 pm 
you say you had to downgrade the nvidia drivers, but if you were using the ones from knoppmyth then what you did is actually an upgrade, as knoppmyth includes the 4463 drivers.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Video drivers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:49 am 
Ahhh, I started out the install with a Matrox card with no TV-out (my nVidia card was still en-route) and added it after the fact. Installing the initial nVidia 66?? drivers was the quickest way I could think of to get the modules loaded right, and after I disabled dlx and got them working, I had to do the downgrade to lose the blue borders (as I discovered on a MythTV forum). Since neither of these steps was part of the initial KnoppMyth install, I kinda breezed over them. :wink: