|R6, P4 2.8Ghz, nvidia 6200. (upgrading from R5.5).
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||bigB [ Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 pm ]|
|Post subject:||R6, P4 2.8Ghz, nvidia 6200. (upgrading from R5.5).|
This is a work in progress, using it as my upgrade blog.
# Video type: HDTV via XVMC
# Type of system: combined front- and back-end
# Noise level: [I can barely hear it from 5 feet away]
# CASE: Arisetec HT-400
# MOTHERBOARD: Recycled from Acer Veriton 5600
# CPU: P4 2.8GHz HT
# RAM: 1.5 GB
# CPU HEATSINK: Zalman 9500
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: stock
# CD/DVD-RW: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D
# HDD: WD 120GB, WD320 GB, Samsung 1000GB
# GRAPHICS CARD: Nvidia 6200
# SOUNDCARD: SB Audigy2 (CA0106)
# TUNER CARD: Hauppauge Nova-T 500, Divico Pro
# REMOTE CONTROL: Imon pad
# LCD: Imon (USB ID: 15c2:ffdc)
Background, and preparation
I've been happily running R5.5 for about 14 Months. All the hardware listed above works, but this was not how it was out of the box. I use mythwelcome, and nvram-wakeup to shutdown the machine when not in use, this requires the reboot method.
I use a second partition on my primary hard disk as a bootable mirror backup of the working system, this allows me to drag the upgrade out over several days without affecting the WAF.
Before upgrading I mirror the root partition (/dev/hda1) to /dev/hda3. I modify the fstab in hda3 so that the root point to /dev/hda3. I also modify the initrd in hda3 (/boot/initrd.gz) to mount hda3 instead of hda1. I also confirmed that hda3 booted correctly, this required adding entries to lilo.conf which i won't go into detail here.
I converted my fstab to use UUIDs. I perform a knoppmyth backup which generates the savedfiles.tar.gz, and the mythconverg.sql.gz files.
Upgrade Attempt 1
for the first upgrade attempt, the backup files were in the default location of /myth/backup/, but this resided on /dev/sda1. After performing the upgrade, it was evident that the backup files could not be located as none of my settings were there.
I've read that the upgrade process will look for the files in /root, so i'm going to put them there, and also on hda3 (remembering this is my working mirror backup) since this would normally be mounted on /myth.
Upgrade Attempt 2
So 48 Hours later, I went for attempt 2. I created a more recent backup and copied the files to hda1:/root and hda3:/backup. This time around, the upgrade found my backup files as the database got imported. I won't be running the upgrade process again as i am happy with how this turned out.
As a side note, choosing hda3 as the place for my bootable mirror backup was a bad idea, anywhere but hda3. The upgrade process changed the owner of all the files to the mythtv user thinking it was where recordings were stored. In hindsight, i should have seen this coming.
Although it not ready for deployment, i am happy with my progress so far.
Hardware that appears to work out of the box
* Sound card (including AC3 passthrough)
* Tuner cards
Features that appear to work out of the box
* Wakeup, shutdown, and mythwelcome (can't confirm on a fresh install, but so close)
Getting the other stuff working
My Imon has USB ID: 15c2:ffdc. The imon driver comes with lirc because it is coupled with the ir. I had to add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/imon.conf (thanks bkamen)
options lirc_imon debug=1 display_type=1
the remote worked but because it is an imon-pad the arrows didn't work. I'm in the process of upgrading lirc to add support.
I uninstalled lirc, and installed version 0.8.6 from source it it worked out of the box. No more patches. I added one more option to the module.
options lirc_imon debug=1 display_type=1 nomouse=1
Once I confirmed that the remote was working, using irw, i then copied over my original lircrc file and placed it in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/, restarted the frontend, and yay it worked.
Due to dependencies, my VFD is no longer working (removing lirc also removed lcdproc, but i'm not concerned about this as i am hoping lirc will be updated in the repos soon enough).
Wakeup, shutdown, and Mythwelcome
This appeared as if it would work out of the box, but since i was upgrading, there were some old settings in there that may have stopped it. I ran
mythwelcome-test-wakeup.shand my computer did power up after 4 minutes. Previously, in R5.5 i had to use "nvram-wakeup", but now it appears the "/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm" system is working for me. I blinding changed a few settings in mythwelcome, but am yet to actually test it with proper scheduling.
I also selected mythwelcome as the startup program instead of mythfrontend.
The LinHes upgrade had installed the correct driver for me (nvidia) but failed to add a few settings to the xorg.conf file that are needed for xvmc to work.
At the bottom of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, i added;
Option "Composite" "Disabled"
I also enabled the nvagp option in the device section;
# Option "CursorShadowXOffset" "4"
# Option "UseEdidFreqs" "True"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
|Author:||bigB [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 pm ]|
Bump to get the "last edited" status for the above post
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group