View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:49 pm 
First I need to say THANK YOU.
I wanted this software before it even existed.
I didn't get a TIVO or RePlay because of several reasons including high cost, lack of upgradability, lack of file transportability and I would need one on every TV.
I know that you can now get TIVO and RePlay programming transfered with 3rd party software. I also know you can hack them to add larger drives. But who needs that if you have MythTV.
Seriously MythTV ROCKS or should I say Kick's A%$.

Anyway I want to thank the KnoppMyth Guys for making my life much easier than it would have been. I want to thank the creator of Myth. The creator of the PVR-250 driver and lastly this community for putting up their knowledge. My best suggestion for a newbie is read this forum. Search it. Odds are good your answer is here.

Current Configuration

Pentium Celeron 667
256MB Ram
PVR-250
ALS4000 audio card
CD-Rom Drive(I will put a DVD drive in soon)
No TV output for now. This is my backend machine. I will be working on getting my Via MII working as a front end next(miniMyth). Once MiniMyth works I will add an Xbox. I will probably also change my back end out to a more powerful box and add a 2nd 3rd and possibly a 4th PVR.

Tier 2 Installation Issues and Information
I started on rocky ground with KnoppMyth. I had an error from the first second I put in the CD. 3 cable changes later I found the correct spot for my Hard Drive. YOU CAN NOT USE A RAID CONTROLLER OR A SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER AND THE DRIVE MUST BE SET TO MASTER. I found that info here in a few minutes.
Now that the hard drive was in the right spot the software installed seemlessly.
Myth was working but I needed to configure it correctly.
I tinkered with the buttons and setting up the system. Took me some time to get it to work. But I like to fiddle with buttons. And the fact that I could use the PVR remote made it even more fun.
I could not get the program guide to work. Then I found the correct site to register to get the program and channel listings.(http://labs.zap2it.com not just the zap2it site). I then searched for the Certificate Code and found one on this site. I also emailed them to get one. Probably won't qualify but we will see.
Once that was working I was super happy. I could program stuff to record and watch live TV. BUT NO SOUND. Again I read this site.
I recompiled the IVTV and changed the Input to=39 in the config file. That didn't work so I changed it back to 2. That didn't work and I was stumped. CD's worked. MP3's worked. But TV didn't.
Remember to REBOOT after recompiling the IVTV. Once I did that I was fine. The audio level is a bit low but that is a minor inconvience compared to no sound.
My other problem is I am not yet a true linux guy. So if it ain't graphical I stumble. Took me a while to get use to changing directories(cd) and copying files(cp?). Also getting use to vi to edit files as well.

Now I have my back end up and running. Recorded several shows and transfered half my MP3 collection. Listening to it now as I type. WOOHOO.

I am off to get MiniMyth to work for a front end.

Thanks again for all the help from this community.
I hope to be able to contribute some to others for the future as well.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich At Contact Juggling Dot Com
www.RichShumaker.com