View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:42 pm 
I started July 24, and its now August 17. Its taken me almost a month to get to the point where I'm satisfied with the setup. I had sound and video on the first weekend, but it was VCD quality.

It turns out I was not using the PVR-350 to decode! With the PVR-350 decoding its about 90-99% of TV quality using the default MythTV settings of 4500-6000 bps at 480x480 / MPEG-2 PS.

Knoppmyth is not to the point where you just stick in a CD and it works. However, its the easiest way to get MythTV up and running.

The first obstacle is that Knoppmyth does not install to SATA. Fortunately the Shuttle can run in legacy mode. I'm not sure how much this effects performance.

Next, the PVR-350 requires configuration. I have put some tips on how to get this working at:

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... stallation

If you have basic Linux experience I think you stand a good chance of getting MythTV to work. The PCR-350 is popular right now and there is a lot of information on the subject.

Another concern I have is heat. I don't think I recommend shuttle for this application. They are very cute, but they are hard to ventilate. Keep some compressed air handy to blow out the fan every once and a while. If the fan breaks I guarantee you your box is going to become a silver blob of molten aluminum.

In addition to heat, the original SB61G2 comes with only a 180W power supply. However, I am able to run a PVR-350, two hard drives, and a CD-ROM. See heat complaint above.

Since I had two identical hard drives, I had to install the latest version of LILO or LILO would not boot.

The sound would not save its settings, so I installed the latest alsa-base.

Was getting DMA errors from ivtv 0.1.9 series so I am running 0.1.10ck100t. I think the system occasionaly locks up due to ivtv.

For some reason my HD got messed up. I think it was because I fsck'd the / partition when it was mounted. I'm running on a new drive now and 2 days into a new installation it seems stable.

I am hoping R5 and ivtv 0.1.10 will cure any remaining stability problems.