View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:39 pm 
Just installed R4V5 on a secondhand Optiplex GX110 933. This is my latest system: I'm continually trying to build something that's "wife useable".

After successfully installing from the internal CDROM, I replaced it with a Samsung CD-RW/DVD TS-H492 from NewEgg. The next KnoppMyth install booted fine from that, which is something that hadn't happened with previous DVD drives. One down!

I next played a commercial DVD, after finding, downloading and installing the required library, and adding user "myth" to the /dev/scd0 group, which in my case was "utmp". I'm still having problems getting the "play DVD" and "import DVD" buttons to work...more on that when I figure it out.

Then, I decided to try to get the PVR-250 composite (RCA) input working.
Turns out, the way to do this, is to go through portions of setup-mythtv twice. Specifically, the video source screens, the input assignment screens and finally, manually add the composite input as a channel.

The Composite RCA jack is "COMPOSITE 4" on my card input screen,
but you need to create a video source for it after you finish with the DataDirect channel download. Go back and add another video source (I called it "Composite") and take the defaults or skip everything else. So, when you exit the video source screens, you will see two sources, whatever you picked for the RF channels and "Composite".

In the next screens, you assign sources to inputs. TUNER 0 is easy, it gets your RF source, COMPOSITE 4 gets "Composite".

Finally, go into the manual channel editor and add channel 1, selecting as
source, "Composite".

One more tuner issue: I find that I still have to change the fine tuning on channel 5 and 6 from "0" to "20" to get a picture. I think this is a peculiarity of my local cable company (Comcast - Holliston, MA). I do this from MythWeb after bringing the system up...it's in Settings/Channels. You need to enter "20" and then hit the "enter" key on your keyboard for it to "take". How did I know it was "20"? Someone a long while ago figured out the units to frequency shift mapping, and I kept putting in different
values 'till I got a picture!

Next step was to install a cheap Jaton (model Video-198PCI-64TV) GeForce4 MX440 64Meg PCI video card with S-video and RCA TV-out from NewEgg (stock 14-139-146). This caused me a bit more work, but eventually, I got it running with TV out working.

To get the nVidia card working, you need to download the 6111 driver installer from nVidia's web site, and run it in a terminal window. But, first, you need to shut down gdm:

ctl-alt-F1
(as root)
/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then, run the nVidia driver installer (also as root), and allow it to compile
whatever kernel interface it wants to compile.

I should say, that I initially installed KnoppMyth without doing anything
special about the nVidia card. Just let KnoppMyth do its thing, and
put whatever it puts in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. What that gets you, is a
working, basic X system.

Now that you have installed the latest nVidia drivers, it's time to modify
XF86Config-4. The way I did this, was to open two windows. You can
either bring X up on the box or ssh in from another PC. One window is
your editing window, where you run vi on /etc/X11/XFConfig-4, and the other shows the contents of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.nvidia-tvout.sample You can use the sample file to show you where the changes need to go.

comment out the "GLcore" and "glx" load commands in the "Module" section near the top.

add the ConnectedMonitor, TVOutFormat, etc lines (as in the sample file) to the "Monitor" section, selecting either "S-VIDEO" or "COMPOSITE" for the TVOutFormat.

Change the HorizSync below to "30.0 - 60.0" and the VertSync to "60.0"
as instructed in the nVidia XFree README

In the "Device" section, change the "Driver" from "nv" to "nvidia", also as
instructed in the nVidia README.

When I rebooted, I had TV out video after X came up. From the nVidia
README, it looks like the really clever user could rig things so they still had output on the VGA, monitor as well, but that's not me.

I also added the ntpd synchronization, as my system clock drifts badly - works very well: http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... onizeHowTo

KnoppMyth - getting better all the time!

Thanks to all those who made it possible...I love it!

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:54 pm 
ka1axy wrote:
comment out the "GLcore" and "glx" load commands in the "Module" section near the top.

Why do people keep doing something this crude when there is a well documented solution which leaves glx working? Try this link, down near the bottom of the third page. http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1871