Post subject: Version of IVTV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:24 pm 
My system:
AMD Althon 850
1 PVR-250.
1 256 SDRAM
AC 97 Sound built into motherboard.
Cheap ethernet card, name escapes me.
SIS 315 video card with svideo or composite out.

If you have an SIS card, they work really well and seem to handle output not too bad, go to [url]http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml
[/url] , he keeps the sis driver uptodate, and it has alot of info how to set up the X config file and such. I also wanted to use xinemera, so i had to edit that X config file alot but his site helped alot. Also my card is a throwaway card from my dad, he received it and the tv-out didn't work in windows. They sent him a new one and got to keep that card. I figured hey what the hell i'll use it. If i don't install Knoppmyth with the TV option, where you see all the kernel messages, i only get white squares. From what Thomas Winischhofer told me, i would have to compile a new kernel with his sis FB code. I did that once and it worked. But with the tv option on install i get that splash screen, and if i hit escape can now see the kernel output. So i recommend anyone to install with the tv option. I like it better, plus for like my wife, she doesn't understand the kernel code, but the splash screen she gets.

I hope that R5 comes with a better version of ivtv. I just wanted to say that anytime i have to reinstall Knoppmyth for some reason or another i always have to upgrade ivtv. I have a pvr-250. I used the ivtv driver and how to upgrade it from this post [url]http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2295&highlight=ivtv
[/url] the 106u i believe.

What happens at least for me is lots of artifacts or flickering with the original ivtv driver. THe 106u works perfectly for me. Crystal clear (well know that i have a signal amplifier, was a bit fuzy without it) picture now. No artifacts or flickering at all.

Those were the only two things i had to do to get a fully fuctional Knoppmyth tv system.

Also, don't know if people would like to know top readings from my low end system. I only have a amd althon 850. I just bought a pvr-250 off from ebay for 104 with shipping. Didn't think that was too bad. Plus i didn't want the gateway one that is currently being sold alot on ebay, i wanted one with an ir receiver. My other pvr-250 is being fixed by hauppauge and they said should be in the mail by yesterday. Right now i can record and watch a dvd, or watch live tv or record and watch a recording without droppping below 35% system idle, and that's at time shifting times, otherwise it averages about 50% system idle. Can't wait to see how it does with 2 pvr's.