View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:24 am 
I now have a functional MythTV setup running on a Compaq Presario 6000. (Athlon 1800XP, 512MB PC2100, Matrox G400 instead of onboard video, SBLive instead of onboard sound)

I had to make the following changes to the default installation and instructions as given at the KnoppMyth wiki to get everything working with my PVR-350 for TV out:

1. Recompiled the ivtv driver using the 0.1.10-pre2-ck105i source in /usr/src and installed the ivtvdev X driver.
2. Didn't set any options for saa7127 module in /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv since the supplied version ignores them.
3. Unlike some instructions I'd found, I needed to make both of these calls to get the S-video out working:

# ivtvctl -j reg=0x6c,val=0xfa -d /dev/video16
# ivtvctl -j reg=0x2d,val=0x38 -d /dev/video16

I had to place them in /home/mythtv/.fvwmrc

4. My PVR 350 came with the silver remote, so I needed a different /etc/lircd.conf and /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc.
5. Not a MythTV issue, but the first cable I tried for controlling my cable box wasn't a true male-female RS-232 cable even though it had the right connectors. Eventually I found a cable that worked.
6. Following advice I'd seen in various places, I disabled dma access on the drive holding my /myth directory. CPU usage is higher during playback, but it no longer freezes.
7. Purely cosmetic, but I had to change the video mode to 788 in my /etc/lilo.conf to get the splash screen to work. The default was wrong, whatever it was.

I still have one remaining issue, though. When I'm watching recorded programs, once I get past the halfway point or so, Myth will suddenly think the recording has ended. It exits back to the "select a recording" screen and gives me the "what do you want to do with this recording?" menu. This happens whether or not I'm using TV out. The closer I get to the end of the recording, the more often this happens, to the point where it will only play for a few seconds before prematurely thinking it's done. It's quite an irritating way to watch the end of a show. I haven't started upgrading things yet, and I'm looking for some more guidance before I risk putting myself in dependency hell.

Great thing, though, this KnoppMyth. :D

-david