Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:36 pm 
ATI TV Wonder VE
Compaq SR1000z(Asus A7V8X)
Realtek AL658 sound
Firewire
NVIDIA FX5200

The R5A10 install was well worth it. Main differences from R4V5 for me are: the TV Wonder's audio is now loaded by alsa as another sound card (gave me some sound problems until I looked more closely at what was going on), the ethernet over firewire module is loaded so my ethernet card was moved to eth1, and changes to /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv for my tuner type (which does not autoconfigure with bttv) were not taking effect so I had to place them in my aliases file.

Some more general things to remember are to unpack the kernel sources before running the nvidia installer script or trying to compile any drivers and run alsamixer to make sure your sound is set up right.

I have been running this frontend/backend for a few days without any problems (very stable). The only hiccup I have had so far is connecting a remote frontend. After installing R5A10 on the frontend I couldn't find any docs/topics saying whether this was different or not as compared to R4. After I get that working I will update this.

So far the user interface (desktop) appears to be a large improvement on R4 and is actually genuinely impressive with a good set of tools a click away. Myth 0.17 is feature rich, and I am still exploring it (not much of an improvement for my crappy card) but it appears to be ready for HDTV and DVB including support for cable boxes w/ firewire. Great job to the KnoppMyth and MythTV dev teams for putting all of this together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 pm 
scotbrady wrote:
After installing R5A10 on the frontend I couldn't find any docs/topics saying whether this was different or not as compared to R4.
The procedure has not changed.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:26 pm 
Thanks for the reply cesman, everything is working perfectly now. R5A10 is the way to go. I'm looking forward to the beta release. Thanks again, Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:27 pm 
Site Admin
You're welcome.