View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:47 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
Do you mean that the vanilla 2.6.12 worked, or that the 2.6.12 kernel *with* dvb-kernel works?

The 2.6.12 kernel worked a treat with the FusionHDTV Plus card. Yippee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:44 pm 
I have just assembled a nice-looking HTPC/PVR box, and thought I would try and use Knoppmyth to keep Big Bill away, but can't seem to get it to recognise my DVICO FusionHDTV DVD-T Lite card, which from the discussion I saw hjere say it should work without driver patching. Should I try Greg's script? That willo be my next attempt, after trying updating the kernel (to 2.6.11) with no success, and being unable (for some reason) to use Chris Pascoe's drivers with his script (kept giving me file create errors).

i did try loading winxp :oops: just to see if all the hardware works, and it does. So it's just a config issue.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and this may need a new thread or more searching, but I also have a Dlink G520+ wireless PCI card in this box, and wonder what I will need to do to get it working. I used the onboard wired NIC for my first Knoppmyth attempt, which works perfectly, but no network wires for the lounge the missus said.

Full box specs are:

Asus A7V8X-MX SE
AMD XP 2600+
512MB DDR RAM
Nvidia GF4 MX4000 with TV out
DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite
Dlink DWL-G520+ wireless PCI card
WD 200GB HDD
Antec Minuet II case

Thanks for any advice or help

Cheers
Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:11 am 
Nigel Pearson has a lite card and I have not heard that he had any problems. Nigel looked into it and said the Lite card should just work from any kernel past 2.6.11-8. R5A16 has the 2.6.11-9 kernel.

Can you be a bit more specific about what the problem is? Have you tried dvbscan (for that you will need a transport input file for your local channels - WHere do you live?)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:09 am 
Hi Greg, thanks for the reply. I'm in Adelaide, but it's not a scan problem. The mythTV setup does not detect card at all (should be a DVB card, right?).

Anyhow, I've put retesting KnoppMyth on hold as the current windoze install is running a distributed computing project and has a job that won't finish for another few days. After that I will have another go with it, and let you know what I find.

What logs should I look in for detection of the card when I do try again?

Thanks
Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:35 pm 
Type dmesg and look for dvico.
Start using dvbscan rather than mythtv. If it detects channels, your card is working and you just need to work out how to configure mythtv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:03 pm 
Mick, the lite should work with any kernel 2.6.10 or later.

You do know that KnoppMyth doesn't enable the DVB drivers by default, right?

You have to modprobe dvb-bt8xx

(and add dvb-bt8xx into /etc/modules for next reboot)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:51 pm 
nigelpearson wrote:
You do know that KnoppMyth doesn't enable the DVB drivers by default, right?

You have to modprobe dvb-bt8xx

(and add dvb-bt8xx into /etc/modules for next reboot)

Are you sure about this Nigel? I haven't had to do this on my system. When I have been able to compile a kernel that works with my card, it just works. No modprobing or anything. (Thats with the recent R5 Alphas anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 pm 
In tried modprobe for several different modules (including bt8xx), but it didn't return anything (just straight back to prompt).

Looks like I might get to try a reinstall again tonight. Keep the ideas comin', thanks. :)

Cheers
Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:21 pm 
Mick, modprobe will do nothing except load the module and output some messages on the console. If you are using an Xterm, then I think it will be silent.

After the modprobe, you should be able to run mythtv-setup, and add a DVB card, then try scanning with it.

Greg, maybe the Knoppix autoconfig adds that module in if you install KnoppMyth with the card. I have always had to add it manually.
(maybe your custom kernels have the DVB drivers compiled in? i.e. not modules)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:29 pm 
nigelpearson wrote:
Greg, maybe the Knoppix autoconfig adds that module in if you install KnoppMyth with the card. I have always had to add it manually.
(maybe your custom kernels have the DVB drivers compiled in? i.e. not modules)

The modules are definately not compiled in for my kernel, but you may be right about Knoppix auto-config adding that module automatically. I have always installed with the card in the box. I assume this is what mickwish is doing, so he shouldn't need to do any modprobing.

mickwish: I see now that you are in adelaide (like me). Which part? NSEW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:51 pm 
NE, Greg.

I think the DC job that was running has finished, so I'll have another go at a clean install of KnoppMyth tonight, and see what happens.

Yep, all hardware is loaded up. I would hope it loads the modules correctly on install...

Any way my brand new DVB-T Lite would have a different chipset? :shock: Should I check?

Thanks
Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:19 am 
Mick, it _is_ possible that you have a different version of the firmware, but it is very unlikely. The main chip on the card is a Connexant 878A. The tuner should be a Samsung MT352, which the DVB drivers will identify as a Zarlink MT352.

If you could send us the output of the dmesg command, we can diagnose further

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:13 am 
OK, between dog obedience class and running kids about I managed to clean install Knoppmyth. Same behaviour for defauilt install - no DVB card detected.

So then I opened an xterm and added dvb_bt8xx to /etc/modules. Reboot, and run myth-setup, and lo and behold I have a detected card. just as described by Nigel!! We are getting somewhere!

Now it stalls at 50% searching for channels (I think that is what it is doing, anyhow in Step 3). I have a powered antenna plugged in that has a good signal as tested in winxp. What now, shall I try running dvbscan? What syntax does it take? Or what else should I configure in myth-setup?

Thanks for the help, really appreciated Starting to feel i CAN get KnoppMyth setup satisfactorily!!

Cheers
Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:31 am 
I have had mixed success searching for channels without actually creating the transports at the right frequencies (one for each channel sbs,abc,7,10,9) and specifying 7MHz bandwidth. Look at dba.org for the frequencies (thats from memory). You should be able to work that out by playing with mythtv-setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:46 am 
Ok, worked out steps 3 and 4 (tricky use of Alt-Tab in a GUI there!), now looking at channel setting, which won't scan and find them,. Son is currently playing Tux Racer so I'll leave that for another day.

Thanks, I feel I have achieved something with getting it to recognise the card. Neat!

Cheers
Mick

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next