View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:20 am 
These aren't new instructions per se, but I included a few things which I thought were rather glaring omissions in other PVR-500 how-tos.

I'm writing this as someone whose knowledge of Linux is based almost entirely on my tinkering with the command line in Mac OS X (I've got a DP Power Mac G5 a few feet from my Myth box). So I know a few things, but am certainly far from a seasoned Linux user.

I downloaded and used auto-install on KnoppMyth R5A16. That went off without a hitch. In the Myth-backend configuration, I followed

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/~ralpha6 ... mythtv.htm

(After the ackend configuration, nothing worked for me from that page, so I abandoned it).

I found a somewhat more straightforward howto for the rest, at:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4822

Following these instructions (with a few minor additions) got my box with a PVR-500 from static to working.

The additions:

1. I have no clue why this isn't explicitly stated in othe PVR-500 howtos, but unpacking the kernel source is a MUST when building IVTV and other modules. I didn't know this since this is really my first in-depth experience with Linux in general, but really, this is a vital step that is often glossed over, so do it! I banged my head against the wall for a whole day trying to figure out why IVTV wouldn't build (the error messages weren't very specific). It was all because my kernel source wasn't unpacked. Look for the source in /usr/src and unpack it.

2. Don't edit the IVTV file in /etc/modules -- the default version worked for me.

3. It's important to shut down (maybe even unplug) before the card changes will take effect - a simple "restart" didn't work for me.

Also, this is just a convenience, but I can't overstate how much easier this process is running ssh and an sftp client on another computer to connect to the MythTV box. This is mostly for two reasons:

1) I find an sftp client much more effective in browsing directories and finding and editing files than doing it locally from the command line on the Myth box. In general downloading, unpacking, and moving around files is just a lot easier on my Mac (in my opinion). Then I can just "move the files over" to the box. (I can click a lot faster than I can type).

2) When commands have to be run in a shell, its much easier to do on a screen I can read (ie via ssh on my Mac), rather than squinting to read the text on my TV.

Having an actual browser open during all this helps a lot, too.

Using these steps I got my box up and running without pulling out TOO much hair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:12 am 
thnaks for your post :D ... im thinking of getting a pundit.. just cause theyre cheep and everything seems to just work on the motherboard.

can i ask what you think of the graphics card performance. and the tv out?

i presume you went the one with the sis chipset.. which seems kinda old technology to me.. but the other pundits have ati graphics which i presume one should stay away from.

thanks
steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:39 am 
I was actually impressed with the graphics performance (being on-board and all). I haven't noticed any performance drawbacks or unusual artifacts. The TV out works great, and overall I love the fact that the Pundit has EVERY in/out you could possibly want. I'm not sure why anyone would need anything better than this in the graphics dept. -- I mean, this was never meant to be a gaming box or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:58 pm 
jake.. thanks for that.. im gona get one.

can i ask about the wi-fi. ie.. have you tried connecting it to a wireless network?.

i ask casue with onyl 2 pci slots.. both of which id like to eventually jam tuner cards in... theres isnt room for a wireless network card.

cheers for your comments.

edit... oh wait.. i just realised it has a pcmcia card reader. ... so.. i can just jam a wireless network card in there. sorry.. i dont know heaps about wireless networks.. but i want to set one up so that i dont have to run a network cable to my telly. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:06 am 
Yeah there's the pcmcia slot, but honestly you might want to check out a USB wireless adapter. They often seem to be pretty inexpensive (or so it seems to me). I've done a cursory check and there seems to be a fair amount which actually have drivers for Linux. Of course it sticks out a little more, but that's hardly an issue of it's in the back.

I've never been daring enough to try and set up any kind of wireless connection under Linux...connecting wirelessly with my Mac is basically idiot proof, and I've never needed a wireless connection since the box is next to the cable modem which is right by the TV cable outlet anyway.

Speaking of the PCI slots...it'll take a little creativity on your part if you have a tuner card the size of my PVR-500. I had to skillfully take a hacksaw to the heatsink fan shroud to let the corner of the card fit. Overall the Pundit is very well designed, but for some reason they only anticipated the smallest of PCI cards. That being said my PVR-500 fits nicely now and there haven't been any thermal or noise issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 pm 
Excuse my ignorance, but does the pvr 500 (hauppauge) have TVOUT capabilities with a MythTV setup? More specifically a KnoppMyth distro.

If not, Jake or anyone, can you recommend me a good cheap Nvidia based TVout capable graphics card?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:09 pm 
The PVR-500 isn't capable of TV out.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:10 pm 
rybolt wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but does the pvr 500 (hauppauge) have TVOUT capabilities with a MythTV setup? More specifically a KnoppMyth distro.

Of course not. It doesn't have it with ANY distribution or PVR software for the simple reason that it has multiple video inputs but it doesn't have any video outputs. http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mce.html
Do you mean the PVR-350?
rybolt wrote:
If not, Jake or anyone, can you recommend me a good cheap Nvidia based TVout capable graphics card?

The usual place to find this information is in the Tier 1 and 2 hardware recommendations. You can also search those forums for "fx5200". For example my current system:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=fx5200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:29 am 
As an update, I just installed R5A30.2 and everything works without a hitch on auto-install, so as far as I'm concerned, this hardware setup can be upgraded to tier I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:15 am 
Which video-card drivers do you use? Because my fglrx drivers didn't work very well last time I tried it. And the standard drivers (vesa) are too slow to watch tv of a good quality.(I'm using the vga output, because I use a monitor to watch tv)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:04 pm 
This is a completely standard installation of R5A30.2. I didn't add any extra drivers. Playback is perfect - and I'm using a Celeron D (2.6 GHz if I remember correctly). The GPU is embedded, but honestly, I don't think the GPU ever even comes into play for this.

Post subject: ATI driver
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:12 am 
Hi,

I had several problems getting the ATI driver to work properly, too. The newest driver has a bug in xv: The TV-picture is distorted, when activating TV-Out. I got the hint, that using an older version (8.20.8: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27) would work better, so I installed that one and got a brillant picture on my TV ;)

But I have a problem, too: I got an Pundit-R with an ATIIXP-150 onboard Soundcard and a 5.1-Soundsystem WITHOUT an external DD-Amplifier. The system is connectet with 3 wires directly into the back of my Pundit. Did somebody get AC3 to work this way? How? I only got Stereo and I am able to spread this about all speakers... But my recordings and Live-TV should have AC3 (it's DVB-S).

Any hints? ;)

Hope, I could help you with your graphics-problem...

Jan

Post subject: Re: ATI driver
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:19 am 
Lueddich wrote:
But I have a problem, too: I got an Pundit-R with an ATIIXP-150 onboard Soundcard and a 5.1-Soundsystem WITHOUT an external DD-Amplifier. The system is connectet with 3 wires directly into the back of my Pundit.

What sound device are you using? You have to use for example ALSA:surround51 as sound device.

I have only tried it with Dolby Digital trailers and mplayer though, I don't think mythtv frontend can handle 5.1 audio yet. I also had to use the route plugin for ALSA to remap the channels a bit, otherwise the mixer controls were wrong (LFE/Center and surround channels were swapped).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:45 pm 
Hi, I tried ALSA:plug:surround51:0, ALSA:surround51, ALSA:default => every time only 2 channels, which I could spread on every one of the 6 channels... :( I also tried this .asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.digital {
type plug
slave.pcm "digital-hw"
}
ctl.digital {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

ctl.digital-hw {
type hw
card 0
}

With device 1 I didn't get any sound (is this only the digital out?) and when I changed it to device 0, I had again only 2 channels...

By the way ;) "aplay -l" shows me the following:

Code:
mythtv@mythtv:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 1: ATI IXP IEC958 [ATI IXP IEC958 (AC97)]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

/sbin/modinfo snd-atiixp

Code:
root@mythtv:/home/mythtv# /sbin/modinfo snd-atiixp
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.13.2-chw-3/kernel/sound/pci/snd-atiixp.ko
author:         Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
description:    ATI IXP AC97 controller
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.13.2-chw-3 SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3
depends:        snd-ac97-codec,snd-pcm,snd-page-alloc,snd
alias:          pci:v00001002d00004341sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001002d00004361sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00001002d00004370sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
parm:           spdif_aclink:S/PDIF over AC-link. (array of bool)
parm:           ac97_quirk:AC'97 workaround for strange hardware. (array of charp)
parm:           ac97_clock:AC'97 codec clock (default 48000Hz). (array of int)
parm:           enable:Enable audio part of ATI IXP controller. (array of bool)
parm:           id:ID string for ATI IXP controller. (array of charp)
parm:           index:Index value for ATI IXP controller. (array of int)

Are you sure about the 5.1 from the frontend? Is this impossible? Xine is able to give me 5.1 from DVDs or AVIs...

What did you do to remap the channels? I also have the wrong mixer controls, but I don't know any "route plugin"... :?:

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:56 am 
The last time I asked I got the response that MyhTV can't play back 5.1 sound but it records it (at least for DVB, since it is already in the stream).

Here (a bit down on the page) is info about the Route plugin
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/al ... ugins.html
The feature to use is ttable.

You set up a new device (I called mine "remapped", so I use ALSA:remapped as device) and for the device you map the input channels (by number) to other output channels (by number).

Maybe this is a better link
http://alsa.opensrc.org/SurroundSound

Go to page 1, 2  Next