Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 am 
Here is my HW:

The Shuttle SK41G XPC mini pc system
AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6 GHz) CPU
512 MB of DDR 266 memory
Asus V9180 GeForce 4 MX 440 64 MB video card
PVR 150 MCE ( I didn't want another remote )
Sony Wega 42" LCD rear projection TV

I wanted to replace my VCR with the shuttle PC. There are 3 video sources currently. Cable + Sat dish and an additional port for my camera.
I might have paid less with a DVR or a VCR, but there wasn't any fun buying something and plugging into my system. I had to suffer a bit.

Initially, I had too much trouble with R16, and gave up after a few trials. But it gave me good exercise to set up my nvidia based graphic card, and made me search for a good modeline for my TV via its DVI port. Sony doesn't recommend using this DVI port with a PC, but anyway, the forum at avforums were great. I believe mine is a GIII (generation3) and I am using a 960x540 resolution at my final setting. In windows, this TV could do better than that using nvidia drivers, but I haven't got a better resolution in linux.

When I auto-upgraded the R26 over R22, it couldn't run. All I got was black screen and locked status. I opted to reinstall everything last night.

Here is what I did:

R26 installed
reboot gdm failed. I was using both s-video and dvi outputs out of Nvidia
both showing the same thing. I noticed that install-nvidia stuff was attempted in the installation, but I was getting error (not finding libpcidata.a, or getting an empty file for this) in /var/log/Xfree*.0.log

I had to redo this step. installnvidia7174 I believe. And I copied my former XF86Config-4 with settings for DVI port of my TV.

It worked like a charm. I was able to set my PVR150, as if it is a PVR250 in mythtv-setup. Got channels, created a new one for my dish output.

It is pretty cool right now. The ivtv drivers make installation painless for PVR150. As the price of this card is really low, I expect many potential users are going to getting this.

As a homework, I need to clean the fuzziness of my tuner and set them for high-quality. Also have to learn how to use a keyboard too.

Thanks for all the participants in this forum and knoppMyth developers. This project is truly a significant achievement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:20 am 
glad to see more success with the VIA chipset of these boxes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 pm 
ea and mcdrama,

Are your SK41Gs still running good?
I'm putting together a setup quite like ea's except I'll be using a FX5200.
I was concerned about the via chipset but after reading about mcdrama's fix I thought I'd take my chances.
When all the parts are delivered, I'll let you know of my results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 pm 
yes it is still running fine, no reboots or lock ups. IIRC I am running R5A26.

I recorded the the first two 2 hour episodes of 24 and started watching each one 30 minutes after each started and it kept on recording.

Make sure you update the BIOS though , I think that is the key to work around this bug.