View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:59 pm 
This is a mini-howto.

I read through about three different guides in an attempt to get KnoppMyth set up with my setup. All of them were different, and none of them worked. So I wanted to share what I did to get it working:

First of all, I did an auto upgrade from R4V5. I followed the on-screen instructions then I edited two files (bold). Finally, I installed the ivtv driver and remote. After that, the setup works and is ready to be configured.

/etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv needs to look like this:
Code:
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c 
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe tuner; /sbin/modprobe msp3400; /sbin/modprobe saa7115;  /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install  ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
remove ivtv /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove ivtv && /sbin/modprobe -r saa7115 && /sbin/modprobe -r msp3400 && /sbin/modprobe -r tuner && /sbin/modprobe -r ivtv-fb
(the install... and remove... lines are each one line)

You will also need to configure /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for the PVR-350's TV out. (I won't explain this here but there is a guide, as well as another PVR-350 tv-out howto here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3827)

You need to get the ivtv driver from the internet, then install it. There were two different links I found for the driver. For some reason, only the older driver seemed to work. You can get it here: http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ivtvdev_drv.o.gz . To install it:
Code:
gunzip ivtvdev_drv.o.gz; install -m 0444 ivtvdev_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

To make the remote work:
Code:
echo /usr/bin/lircd >> /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Reboot and the TV display should work.

To configure MythTV, exit the front end, right-click the desktop, open a shell and type "mythtv-setup" followed by an enter. Set up your video sources, channels and inputs. If you are upgrading from R4, make sure that your recordings directory is /myth/tv and your live TV directory is /cache. Back in the frontend ("mythfrontend" in the shell): Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback, use PVR-350 as your output.

I know it seems condensed, but I only intended it as a usable outline of what I did. All of this comes from about 8 hours of trial and error. If this helps one person, it will have been worth it. Meanwhile, I will be enjoying my updated KnoppMyth box. Thanks everyone for making it possible!