View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: KnoppMyth Install Party
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:49 pm 
Hi,

I did a quick search and it does not appear anyone posted on organising a KnoppMyth install party. A few years ago, as mainstream linux distros were still tricky to tune, meeting together in such events was appealling.

There are so many things that have to be tuned in MythTV that an install party focused on KnoppMyth might be very exciting and fruitful. Most of us might exchange tips, and provide support to new comers as well.

I am looking forward for your feeback on the matter. I can provide support for Poland or France in managing such an event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 pm 
Site Admin
I like the idea! While I cannot personally come to France or Poland, perhaps we can start to organize a worldwide KnoppMyth Installation Party Day. Volunteers all over can lead installfests. I could even make a special release for the occasion! Thoughts? Anyone want to head up an install for their area? I have Southern California covered. What would be a good day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 pm 
Site Admin
Uuhh, install is going on _all_ the time. People usually get on the irc channel when they have problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 pm 
I like idea too. Whilst I appreciate the IRC channel is available, I don't use IRC and with time differences it may be a little hard to get someone on the channel that may know what they are doing. Also there is no translation from the IRC channel back into the forums.

The install party is a good concept and is a wonderful reason to get together with like minded people and "share the love". I have seen this work on another Open Source project and it was accepted very well.

I don't necessarily think this is just about installing KnoppMyth, it would be about networking and meeting face to face people you have no doubt run into on the forums and putting a face to a handle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 pm 
I'm willing to cover middle to southern Finland.

I think it should't be targeted to those who already are installing or upgrading KM, but instead to those who are planning on building their first KM box. To most of those it most likely is their first contact with Linux (was to me). If I would have known a fraction of what I know now, the first installation would have taken a lot less time.

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB
FE: 1500MHz Geforce MX200-V, int. audio, 256MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
So, we got 3 locations so far... We'll need more if we intend to get serious. What about a date? I'd certainly like to kick it all off on the same day.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 am 
The date is hard to determine. I guess arranging a conference space (with a reasonable price), creating material and spreading the word and so on will take a month or two. I would say mid December, earliest.

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 am 
auttila wrote:
The date is hard to determine. I guess arranging a conference space (with a reasonable price), creating material and spreading the word and so on will take a month or two. I would say mid December, earliest.

You may as well wait for January, you're not going to find places and people available much in December.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:43 pm 
I'm not good enough to be the technical "host" but I would be more then happy to help out in any way I could. Sacramento Area (north california).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:33 pm 
^^ Same as above, but would deffo go to one in the berkshire area, UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:20 pm 
This sounds fun, if I thought I could find some interested folks here I would do the same.

I might have to go to a neighbors area, if someone else is going to attempt one of these.

Hey might even be a good opportunity to add to the list of satisfied with their specific hardware as was discussed in another post.

That says it would be a good idea to capture hardware specifics for each one installed on that day.

Pretty remote here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm 
This sounds like fun. Let's brainstorm on what might be needed for a successful KnoppMyth installfest...

-- a venue with tables, power, and internet

-- a TV antenna that can see analog and digital stations, and/or a cable TV outlet

-- food and drink! (non-alcoholic until the install is successful)

-- tools, typical parts that might be needed (spare pwr supply, etc.)

-- nearby Fry's store for emergency parts

-- TV monitor(s): NTSC, HDTV, etc. for testing modelines, etc.

-- stereo receiver for testing audio (analog, SPDIF, etc.)

I can offer everything above at our office in Santa Clara, with the exception of the TVs and the antenna/cable connection. But with some time, I may be able to arrange those, too!

EDIT --

I wonder if Fry's would be willing to host a KM installfest. You'd think it would be a no-brainer as it would sell a ton of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:43 pm 
Most schools are propably well equipped with connections and stuff. Also companies, but they tend to ask for money...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:46 am 
Site Admin
My current thought is to shoot for 2/16/08. This would be the weekend after SCALE. R6 would make it's debut at SCALE and the weekend after, we could have it's coming out party. This should give us plenty of time to plan the event. Liv2Cod, thanks for the list! Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:50 am 
That should give us time to arrange and promote the event. I just had another thought -- wouldn't it be cool to link the install party sites together with a audio/video conference feed? At a minimum we need access to Cecil, Dale, and the other experts on a live feed for when we run into problems!

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next