View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:28 pm 
First ever install of Knoppmyth for me so still very much a learner at this.. Speak slowly for me. lol

First install ( manual )of R5F27 from a USB stick failed to boot.

Second install ( manual again ) was from CD and successfully booted but showed errors throughout the boot sequence regarding not being able to find /proc.

As a result, the GUI fails to start and I get the "Id 'c7' respawning too fast error". Once that settles down, I can manually mount /proc and the GUI will then start but things are not working (eg. mouse). I assume this is because udev is not able to run at startup, therefore hardware is not being setup. Would also possibly explain why I have to edit the Xorg.conf file to "vesa" for the video driver as that is also not being correctly setup??

After some searcing the forum and investigation of the logs, I worked out that /proc is not being mounted automatically on startup. I've checked my fstab as recommended on a few other posts I found but it all seems to be correct.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a brick wall on this one. As mentioned before, I am completely new to Linux and have managed to work me way through some other problems with help of the forums but can't find any leads or solutions for this one.

If all else fails, I am currently downloading R5F1 as that seems to have less problems according to some posts I have read.

Hardware is EPIA M10000
512MB Ram
500G SATA HDD
Laptop DVD-Rom through IDE adaptor
DVICO FusionHDTV+ (Hybrid) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 pm 
Hi,

Any special reason for doing a manual install?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:40 pm 
First tried auto install and got the lockup at 14% partitioning. Discovered it was because my HDD is installed as Secondary Master and there is nothing I can do about this. System will not boot with it as a primary...

Had to do the manual install so I could install to hdc.

Also, wanted to familiarize myself with the Linux system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:05 am 
Hi,

Can you tell us a l;ittle about the system? Should be able to set drive to be a master on first ide port.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:53 am 
Bhoffy wrote:
Hardware is EPIA M10000
512MB Ram
500G SATA HDD
Laptop DVD-Rom through IDE adaptor
DVICO FusionHDTV+ (Hybrid) :lol:
I'm confused. How do you configure a SATA drive as Secondary Master? Do you have an additional HD that you did not list? If so, try the installation without the SATA drive installed.

On which IDE channel/ID is the DVD-Rom drive? Are any of your IDE devices set to cable select?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:59 pm 
Ok. Here's the full story.

The Epia M10000 board is old hardware I had lying around. I wanted to use it as a test bed to see if I could build a system that I was happy with and to make sure it would work the way I imagined. If it works, I'm planning on buying an Epia NX15000 which is smaller and more powerful. The new board has SATA support but the old M10000 does not. I figured I would buy the 500G SATA drive (rather than buy old technology) and run it through a SATA-IDE adaptor for testing. If the system didn't work the way I wanted it to, I would just utilize the SATA drive in my Main PC and scrap the project.

This adaptor is the reason the SATA HDD is not on the primary IDE channel. If I try and connect it as a primary, the computer won't boot beyond the BIOS hardware detection screen regardless of jumper or bios settings. I wish it was that simple because I would probably have the system up and running by now. I'm not new to computers. My hardware knowledge is very good. I'm just new to Linux.

This is why the HDD is as Secondary master and the Laptop DVD-Rom is running through an adaptor as a primary slave. The project I'm working on required very small components. If I get the new Epia NX board, it is smaller so I will have more room and be able to fit a full size DVD drive.

From what I understand, with /proc not being mounted at startup, udev (along with other components ) cannot run and detect/setup my hardware. Does this sound like the correct diagnosis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:18 pm 
Ok. Tried R5F1 with the same results except that VIA graphics are detected and work without any alteration. Still have the same udev error so I know it should be an issue with my hardware configuration.

I'm guessing that /proc location must be specified is a script somewhere but I don't know where to start looking.

Anyone know if there is an editable config file or something I can have a look at? I'm thinking maybe /proc is expected to be on hda1 ???

I've checked /etc/fstab and that seems the same as what is meant to be there..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:38 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for the fill in. You may be able to edit the lilo.conf file to check if it is looking at the proper drive to do the right stuff. Since you are only experimenting, I would suggest that if you have a 6 gig or larger ide drive then use that to evaluate the KM.

A 6gig will allow a manual install and everything will work, just can't do much tv / video as those files will eat the ~2gig of free space real quick. A couple of minutes for testing is cool. Just remember if you are watching tv it is same as recording live tv! I have an MII10k also and works fine. Someday I might put it in a box :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:26 pm 
Thanks for the info mjl.

Good to hear you like the Epia. I agree that it would be much easier if my setup was with hda rather than hdc (I believe that is the source of alot of problems). I contemplated buying a cheap IDE drive to try it but, by doing the trouble shooting thing, I'm learning a lot about Linux and how things work so I don't mind tinkering.

I'll probably go with the NX15000 upgrade eventually. Then HDD will be hda but for now, I'll keep playing and see if I can work it out. I don't see why there should be this type of restriction. I should be able to install an OS anywhere I like. After all, there are diskless systems and the systems that run entirely off the CD.

I'll figure it out or fry my brain trying.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:51 pm 
Hi,

That's ok. Since you have already installed it, what you could do (you like tinkering :) ) is run a live Knoppix cd, or download a live gparted cd and use gparted to squeeze a ~5gig space (non-destructive resize )off the top of your 500 gig drive. Then install a version of Ubuntu, 7.10 is good, into that space. It will use your swap from the KM install. During the install it also checks to see if someone else lives on the drive and will add them to a menu. After the reboot you may be able to boot into your KM. I have not tried it with an off positioned drive but works very nicely with a normal setup,either sata or ide.

If you go that route, there are a couple of tricks to do before rebooting into Ubuntu to keep things healthy.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 pm 
Update....

Wiped everything, installed Knoppmyth on Partition #2, Installed Ubuntu 7.10 on partition # 1, running Partition #3 as swap and partition #4 is what was left of the drive.

Knoppmyth would not start correctly prior to installing Ubuntu. Installed Ubuntu and, via the boot screen, I could launch both OS's correctly.

Seems to me there was an issue with the Knoppmyth boot loader not knowing where a few files were, seeing I had installed on hdc instead of hda.
Yayyyy!!

Now I can experience Knoppmyth as it should be.

P.s. Still installed on hdc. Ubuntu boot loader must be a little more forgiving.

Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:40 pm 
Hi,

With the dual boot I would strongly suggest that you edit the Ubuntu /etc/fstab and change the last two numbers for your KM partitions to be 0 0 so that Ubuntu doesn't do the files checking on them. Ubuntu will think things are not correct, fix them and then KM will be unhappy.

As an additional note, if you later down the road want to upgrade your KM, do a manual install and send the boot loader to partition, NOT lilo. When finished, do a ls /boot and write down the kernel version. Then reboot and you can manually edit the grub loader to start you new upgrade.

Later you edit the Ubuntu /boot/grub/menu.lst to make it stick.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:25 pm 
Thanks for that mjl.

Since I got things running, I haven't been able to touch it due to lack of time so all should be okay so far. I'll follow your instructions next time I get the thing fired up.

Now I just need to connect it to an antenna and my tv to see what it all looks like. Then try and configure the remote to work the whole thing.

Anyone got info/advice with setting up a One For All Kameleon URC-8206 with an IRA2/3 serial receiver?

Thanks.