All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:05 am 
Finally something upcoming from Hauppauge to capture HD from component input:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/01/10/haupp ... hout-cabl/
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site ... ewsLang=en

Also, HAVA is reporting a new device to be released later this year which will do the same:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRel ... RN20080107
http://www.myhava.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 am 
the silver bullet? hopefully that price point will drop though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:39 am 
Interesting! OTOH, cable companies may react by dropping the component outputs. Any HDTV built within the last 5 years has either an HDMI or DVI port. Of course, they would have to start handing out $6 HDMI cables with the boxes instead of $1 component cables.
(When I picked up a SA 8300HDC for my folks, I asked for an HDMI cable, and was told that they're "too expensive").

But anyway, that's probably just a remote possibility. This could be very good news for MythTV. It could also be good news for Cable. Right now, I don't subscribe to cable because I like to record everything, on my own terms. Right now, that means OTA. If I could record onto MythTV, I may consider cable. Oh wait, Soprano's ended. Fuggedaboutit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:47 am 
That's great news!

Thornsoft: rather than dropping component outputs altogether (although that's a possibility too), they could instead just downrez the signal via component to something less than HD resolution, as was threatened with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray component outputs. Although the HD disc people have agreed not to do that right now, they have left the option open for the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:16 am 
They can't do it with HDMI because that "format" is really just a contract agreement to not allow copying. It's just DVI with content protection for the studios. Anyone who uses the HDMI interconnect must sign a contract which prohibits them from allowing copying of the signal.

Pure evil. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
They can't do it with HDMI because that "format" is really just a contract agreement to not allow copying. It's just DVI with content protection for the studios. Anyone who uses the HDMI interconnect must sign a contract which prohibits them from allowing copying of the signal.

That's not entirely correct: lots of HD camcorders have HDMI outputs that work with capture cards like the Blackmagic Intensity. You can definitely record (copy) an HDMI signal with this card as long as the box sending the signal says it's OK.

So HDMI doesn't always prohibit copying, but it does provide for the possibility of prohibiting copying, and I'm pretty sure the means by which copying is prohibited is the infamous HDCP DRM system, which yes, is annoying and evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:27 pm 
OK, I should amend my statement to read, "you can't copy anything you care about using HDMI." As in, any cable broadcast which would normally be encrypted on your firewire output, or any satellite show you care about.

Color me hopeful at this new development, but also a bit skeptical. I think this could force the hand of the content providers and make them shut off the component outputs, at least as far as HD. Then I'll really be screwed because my TV has no HDMI or DVI. It would become a large expensive paperweight, or (more likely) I would be condemned to viewing only OTA sources for HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:56 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Color me hopeful at this new development, but also a bit skeptical. I think this could force the hand of the content providers and make them shut off the component outputs, at least as far as HD. Then I'll really be screwed because my TV has no HDMI or DVI. It would become a large expensive paperweight, or (more likely) I would be condemned to viewing only OTA sources for HD.

My 2 cents here:

I don't think this will happen. Let's say DirecTV kills the component output on all their HD boxes (assuming that this is even possible with their hardware design). Then tons of (non-geeky) customers are extremely unhappy and basically without service. This will not happen. The only viable option would be for DirecTV to supply new hardware to all effected customers. This will not happen either. So, I think you can rest easy for at least a few years yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8497

Apparently, this device has valid HDCP license keys and a signed contract because it "screws directly onto the device".

I get the feeling that now there are other methods available, "real" pirates aren't interested in the analog signal protected by HDCP. This may be why the studios are allowing devices such as this.

Post subject: Quite a milestone
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am 
I'd been waiting for such a card for a couple of years now. A vendor we work with had been planning one, but it never got off the ground for various reasons. It's sad that Hauppauge beat them to it, but at least the community will soon have a component video capture solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 pm 
Does anyone have anymore news about this card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 am 
therntier wrote:
Does anyone have anymore news about this card?

I'be been searching but haven't found anything new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am 
In a fit of curiosity, I decided to call Hauppauge directly and ask if anything was going on with the production of the HD PVR. I spoke with a salesman and she said that it would be shipping at the end of May. Initially it would have XP/Vista support with MCE following close there after. Unsurprisingly, she didn't have any information on Linux driver support. After poking at Google, I also found a some further features info at the Snapstream Blog site. I think that's the extent of any new info for the time being.

-Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 am 
Thanks for the link Tim. It looks like the GBPVR developer(s) have one.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php? ... ght=HD-PVR
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php? ... ght=HD-PVR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:14 pm 
Pics:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32027

Go to page 1, 2  Next