View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:32 am 
Hi,

I'd like to run my knoppmyth based backend with a serial console, but the kernel isn't configured with static serial modules so there's no way to get /dev/console output or early kernel boot messages over serial. Maybe there is a good reason for this, but I'll ask anyway: could serial console support be enabled in some future version of knoppmyth?

The main advantage is monitor/keyboard/graphics card can go away and consume less space and power.

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 pm 
I think it's a good idea, too. Anything that lessens the footprint of the backend server is great. I wonder about the boot-up phase, tho.

Do some motherboards allow you to do ROM BIOS setup via console? That would be a huge benefit for my frontend. It's in an entertainment center hooked to a projection TV. The TV doesn't multi-sync well and I can't use it for maintenance because the display won't sync to 640x480. (My current process is to disconnect it, dig it out of the entertainment center, and take it upstairs for maintenance.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Good idea, however you aren't providing the details I require for a feature request. Less I get the details needed, this is being piped to /dev/null.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
Hi,

I think the main thing that's needed here is to change the kernel config to include

CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y

Then the end user can edit lilo.conf to get console working as described in various serial console FAQ's.

Regarding POST: some server class moboards support "console redirection" to com1 or com2. If yours doesn't (mine doesn't), then I guess you need a monitor/kbd around in storage to pull out for the infrequent events of reconfiguring the BIOS, debugging POST failure, and installing knoppmyth. Maybe the latter could be made to work, I don't know.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 pm 
My question would be: If you configure a serial console that way, will it prevent IR Blasters from working on that serial port. I think there would be more people wanting to use IR blasters for their Knoppmyth boxes than serial consoles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:46 pm 
The 8250 module would be initialized at boot and modprobe.conf could not pass options to it. Other than that, you have to pass a kernel command line option in order to get the kernel to actually use one of the ports as the console. Does that cause problems for irblaster people? I would think not but I'm not an irblaster user myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:20 pm 
If I am not mistaken you could add the modules to the init ramdisk and force load them in the root and get about the same effect as compiling them in.

I don't know how to do this, but I remember someone doing this to get vesafb loaded in some distro. I use KM and Ubuntu.

Cliff

Older dual core 3.4ghz Intel CPU
Asus P5PE-VM Motherboard
2 GB RAM
1 TB LVM2
VirtualBox
Samba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Greg Frost wrote:
My question would be: If you configure a serial console that way, will it prevent IR Blasters from working on that serial port. I think there would be more people wanting to use IR blasters for their Knoppmyth boxes than serial consoles.
What he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:57 am 
What about something like http://www.realweasel.com/

This would also give you access to the BIOS.

The down side is that it costs more than a graphic card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm 
Hi

Got me curious as I use to use the serial console a lot a while back :) A quick search in google "linux serial console" quickly stired up memories. I have not tried from the boot since Slakware was a pup but you can throw a tag into the append I belive to see the boot stuff.

I did an apt-get install mgetty,

added to intttab:

co:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1

set up: nano -w /etc/mgetty/mgetty.config

init q

and tapping return a couple of times on my terminal brought up the login prompt.

Is that what you were seaking? If so maybe Cecil has room to stick it in the future iso?
Mike