View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: *Solved* XVMC Issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:17 pm 
I just upgraded to R5.5, and have a small issue with XVMC playback. If I play an HD video right away after I first boot the machine, I get a black screen with no audio, CPU usage is around 20% for FE, less than 1% for Xorg. No response from the keyboard to get back to the menu screen. If I play an SD video, without XVMC first, and then play and HD video with XVMC, it works as it should.

Hardware is a FX5200, P4 1.6, 768MC RAM, FE only system.

I also rolled back the Nvidia driver to a previous version using

Code:
install-nvidia-debian.sh 96.43.05 -force

The installed version shot the FE cpu usage to near 100%, with no playback at all at any time, and locked the machine up.

Playback under R5F27 was perfect.

A side note, anybody know what happeded to the fill option? The half, full, stretch options all stink!

Thanks

Last edited by goofnrox on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: XVMC Issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm 
goofnrox wrote:
I just upgraded to R5.5, and have a small issue with XVMC playback. If I play an HD video right away after I first boot the machine, I get a black screen with no audio, CPU usage is around 20% for FE, less than 1% for Xorg. No response from the keyboard to get back to the menu screen. If I play an SD video, without XVMC first, and then play and HD video with XVMC, it works as it should.

This sounds like something in the Playback Profile rules. See the R5.5 Hints for the UI path to them and a pointer to a wiki page on tuning them.

OBTW - You probably should revert to the current Nvidia driver, it works very well with an FX5200 given the proper config settings.

Post subject: Re: XVMC Issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:27 pm 
tjc wrote:
goofnrox wrote:

This sounds like something in the Playback Profile rules. See the R5.5 Hints for the UI path to them and a pointer to a wiki page on tuning them.

OBTW - You probably should revert to the current Nvidia driver, it works very well with an FX5200 given the proper config settings.

I tried about every combination possible in the profiles. The newest driver would not do XVMC. Everything else worked much better/faster however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:34 pm 
Trust me it _will_ do XvMC with an FX 5200, it just takes turning off a couple fairly obscure things. I don't remember the details but a Google search for mythtv, nvidia and xvmc should turn it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:10 pm 
Got it working. Basicly a combination of kruft in the database and missing a few minute details in the config. A fresh install with a new host name(been meaning to change it anyway), and copy-paste from the XVMC Wiki page at mythtv.org

Added to Xorg.conf

Code:
 Section "Device"
      Identifier "Videocard0"
      Driver  "nvidia"
      Option "UseEvents" "true"
      Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"  # necessary for color Chromakey OSD)
      Option "NVAGP" "1"                 # some users report 2 or 3 works better
 EndSection

Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disabled"
 EndSection

Looks nice. Just need to work out the aspect ratio and filling the screen issues now.

Post subject: Re: *Solved* XVMC Issue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:22 pm 
goofnrox wrote:
A side note, anybody know what happeded to the fill option? The half, full, stretch options all stink!

I agree. I'm now using the menu to change aspect ratio - this seems to work better than the new options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 pm 
goofnrox wrote:
Code:
 Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disabled"
 EndSection

That's the bit I couldn't remember, the tweaker and the restore fixups both try to take care of the rest for new installs and upgrades.