View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
I recently upgraded to R5.5 from R5F27. Most of the transition is ok, but I can't seem to get mythtv to recognize my old recordings.

The recordings are located at /myth/tv and remained untouched during the auto-upgrade.

However, in my mythconverg database, the record, recorded, recordedfile, (and any other recordings related) tables are empty.

I tried "mythfilldatabase" and "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all", but realized they only update the future recordings.

The other tables are populated fine, I just don't know how to reload past recordings into the table. Is there a command for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 pm 
Should just be there. You can always try rerunning the restore, but I'd check the backup first to make sure that the "recorded" table entries are there.

For more complex solutions you extract just that data from the backup and load it into the DB. This thread has the basics: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10117 also the R5F27 Hints if memory serves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:53 pm 
Hmm... I'll be honest, I may have made a lazy mistake when upgrading. I looked in /myth/backup and nothing is there (except things I manually placed in there months ago)

Prior to the upgrade, should I have ran a backup routine to auto-load some of those tars listed in your link above into /myth/backup? Or should the "Auto-Upgrade" selection have done that?

If the former, I guess it looks like I'll have lost the recordings data. I can use
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl to get the files loaded in. I just won't have descriptions/names (I think)

[Fortunately I didn't have TOO many recordings ...]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm 
Yes, you have to run mythbackup before you do the Upgrade or it has nothing to restore. So you're thinking is correct. Be sure to read the Hints doc in the Hints and Tips forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:47 pm 
Another common mistake is to enter a different host name on upgrade (causes the BE to crash as a bonus).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:47 pm 
tzoom84 wrote:
Prior to the upgrade, should I have ran a backup routine to auto-load some of those tars listed in your link above into /myth/backup?

:roll: Somebody tell me again why I bother to spend so much time writing and publicizing documentation?

From the R5.5 Upgrade and Install Hints available here - http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18453
Quote:
Phase 0 - Before you upgrade:
:
:
1) Make a backup and verify that it worked following the directions below. The less time between when you make the backup and when you do the upgrade, the better. If the delay is more than a couple hours, you should redo the verification step to make sure that the backup is still current. You can't do a successful upgrade without a valid and up to date backup!
:
:
1.1) As root, run the backup command. I strongly recommend doing this from the command line rather than through the menus. This will help you ensure that there aren't any undetected failures which will cause you grief later.
Code:
mythbackup

From the backup/restore guide here - http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=112490#112490
Quote:
- The scripts aren't magical. For upgrades:
    - If you don't do a backup there won't be anything to restore.

- You can't do a successful upgrade without a valid and up to date backup.

- The less time between when you make the backup and when you actually do the upgrade, the better. If the delay is more than a couple hours, you should redo the verification step to make sure that the backup is still current.

- If you don't have the /myth partition mounted before entering the 2nd stage install (because you forgot to update /etc/fstab or reconfigure an LVM volume and mount it), the restore script won't be able to find the backup files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 pm 
My sincerest apologies tjc. I'll be honest, I have a printout of your excellent notes on my coffee table, and have been following them verbatim ... Phase 1 onward. For Phase 0, I am guilty of skimming past after reading "make a backup and verify ...". I incorrectly assumed it was to just make a general backup for safety, and thought I had it covered with an alternate full-server backup routine (mindi/mondo). I guess I was too excited/anxious to upgrade heh.

Really, your documentation is incredibly helpful!! Since I am very early in the upgrade, I'll probably revert back to a recent image and follow directions correctly this time around, just to make sure I didn't botch anything else. But I'll certainly pay for my oversight in both lost time and lost data.

LESSON LEARNED.

Thanks for the follow up despite my ignorance. It takes a big person to provide consistent support here. It takes a bigger person to deal with idiots like me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:23 am 
So, when can one change the hostname?
I'm changing hardware, and like my hostnames to reflect what hardware they're running on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 pm 
stonewalker wrote:
So, when can one change the hostname?
I'm changing hardware, and like my hostnames to reflect what hardware they're running on.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15

I am pretty sure changing the hostname is still this involved, so be sure you pick a good hostname when you do your initial install, and use the same name when you auto-upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:35 pm 
There was a script floating around to do most of the DB work, but it may not be up to date. Searching for "change_hostname.sh" with me as the author reveals: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8048

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:14 pm 
Ugh.., that is a lot more than I expected.
I guess I'll hold off on this and come back to it after I know 5.5 has been running fine for a month or two. Then I'll know any screw-ups will be from hostname change and not my 5.5 upgrade.

Thanks for replying guys!