View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:41 pm 
davilla wrote:
A quick question, is there a defined method for doing a frontend only install.
I don't know what Cecil & Co. have in mind for R6, but as of now no. To create a frontend-only you have to perform a "standard" BE/FE installation, then shutdown/remove those components that aren't necessary for a FE only (MySQL, Apache, mythbackend, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:57 am 
I'm starting to fill in content for installing KnoppMyth R5F27. I think this will be for historical purposed as the next version of KnoppMyth requires much, much less fixes and patching. I'll complete this to a point then move on to other tasks. If someone does want to run R5F27 on the AppleTV, they can contact me and I can step them through it, then update the wiki page with any missing bits.

I have another wiki page that is not posted pending the R5.5 release. This will get posted after R5.5 release.

I'm still having issues getting KnoppMyth to install to GPT formatted disks, so until I get that resolved, the install of KnoppMyth on the AppleTV involves over-writing the original contents and atv-bootloader on a USB flash disk to bootstrap. Backup of the original AppleTV OS is recommended.

There are some tricks you can play if you have a spare external USB disk that will get KnoppMyth to a GPT partitioned disk. So by hook or crook, it is possible using atv-bootloader to move things around.

For those that want to start prep'ing, the first step is to create a bootable USB flash drive with atv-bootloader installed. Do this and you are halfway there. See the atv-bootloader wiki for details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:14 pm 
I've seen two downloads of the AppleTV Linux kernel patches for R5F27 in the past day or so. Is someone trying to install R5F27? Just curious?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:23 pm 
Any updates on this front?
Can anybody post me an updated howto or link to a similar howto, just to get my appletv running KM R5F27 (or newer, if it exists)? Or give me the link to the atv-bootloader wiki pages, as I didn't seem to find them easily, when going through the site...

Thanks guys, great work!
Only just some documentation away (or finding the correct location of the docu)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:27 am 
Just picked up an Appletv and I hope to use it as a front end. I will be doing a fresh install of 5.5 on a backend. Where is the Wiki for the 5.5 install. If possible I would like to have myth run from a usb stick and leave the atv hard drive untouched. Do we have a idiot proff procedure for yet.
I hope to start playing with the ATV tomorrow.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 am 
I haven't had the chance to upgrade my install to R5.5, but for the AppleTV frontend install, you can check my blog on the website: www.bramkortleven.be where I posted follow ups and things you should check when in trouble, when installing the AppleTV MythTV frontend.

If you need any other info, details, whatever, don't hesitate to contact me ;)

Bram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:32 am 
davilla wrote:
I have another wiki page that is not posted pending the R5.5 release. This will get posted after R5.5 release.

Just wondering what has become of this...
(hoping my ebay bid wins out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 am 
spideyk21 wrote:
davilla wrote:

Just wondering what has become of this...
(hoping my ebay bid wins out)

Still around, I'm just incredibly busy with work related items right now. Major show coming up in a week and it's taking all my time. Look for updates in a week or so. You can always ask for help on the atv-bootloader discussion pages, several users have done a knoppmyth R.5.5 install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:14 am 
I have installed R5.5 on an apple tv. Basically followed the wiki on a live cd boot install and use a usb stick to bootstrap.

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/BootingLiveCD

For the most part it went smooth for his example of the kexec parameters change the kernel version to the one 5.5 uses.

also follow the directions for the nvidia card to stop the freezing up when watching HD

#------------------------------------------------
# Allow a nivida mobile chipset to be under-clocked by adding
# a module load option for the nvidia driver.
nano /etc/modprobe.d/options
# add
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=0

this file does not exist so this will make it.

add this line to /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps

Code:
[startup] [/usr/sbin/nvivia_hang_fix.sh}

# now create the actual script
Code:
 nano /usr/sbin/nvidia_hang_fix.sh

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-settings -a GPUOverclockingState=1
nvidia-settings -a GPU2DClockFreqs=200,800

# change the file permission so it can execute
Code:
 chmod 755 /usr/sbin/nvidia_hang_fix.sh

# when X11 is up on the next reboot, you can verify the gpu clock change
# by doing the following in a terminal window and look for "GPU2DClockFreqs".
# You should see 200 for gpu and 800 for vram and NOT 360 for gpu and 720 for vram.
#
Code:
 nvidia-settings -q all

all this was from this page with slight modifications

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/UpdateNvidiaDriver

I have not gotten the apple remote to work but I haven't tried very hard.

I also suggest changing your audio control from pcm to master. and applying the changes suggested here
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/mythtv

except for the osd render on profile 2, if I used it I had no osd on HD so I switched it.

Good Luck and thanks to Cecil and sdavilla for making it so easy, you can ignore all the driver patching etc described on sdavilla's wiki Cecil took care of us already.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:51 pm 
Hi,

I'd like to have some updated info on the official release of the install process by Davilla.

You can check Davilla work right here : http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/

iscraigh info are great and thanks for that but it's a little bit over my head.

My ATV is hardly waiting for that.

Thanks again
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Update

I did get the remote working, I had to use irrecord as detailed many places, ir jammed up @ the end but did make the file.

Bob it is easier than it sounds.

Also the optical audio out worked without really doing anything, although volume doesn't work.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:06 pm 
Bob wrote:
I'd like to have some updated info on the official release of the install process by Davilla.

I've been super busy with work related issues and have not had a free moment in several weeks. Just posting to say I've not lost interest, just real busy right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm 
hopefully Sdavilla still monitors this post.

I have R5.5 running on an apple tv
I recently got a motorola 3416 PVR and am feeding my myth box via firewire. It works great, using the info from your google wiki I have HD working except 2 channels...the sports channels.
I don't know how to tell what resolution they are putting out but am thinking it is 720p.

Recording profiles set up as per your directions

When I change to either of these channels my frontend locks up, top shows mythfrontend using 99%

If I run mythfrontend from a terminal I see constant prebuffering errors.

I tried these channels on another remote frontend (under powered) with an Nvidia card and althouth they have alot of tearing they do work.

Any suggestions appreciated, if you need more info or particular logs just ask.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:55 am 
iscraigh wrote:
When I change to either of these channels my frontend locks up, top shows mythfrontend using 99%

Craig

I'm here ;) you say locks up, immediately or after a few secs/mins? You say 720p, I'm not familiar with what the motorola 3416 PVR outputs, is this mpeg2 or mpeg2/h.264.

The lockup seems like the familiar XvMC lock when the GPU on the AppleTV is not underclocked but you say other HD channels are working.

Need more info please ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:21 pm 
Hi Davilla and iscraigh ,

I hope you will find the problem with the HD iscraigh because i want to use the 720p resolution for my Knoppmyth-ATV.

I'm happy the thread is alive and my atv is ready for Knoppmyth installation instructions. I don't want to put to much presure as i know your very busy right now.

Thanks and keep us informed here or on your blog.
Bob

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next