View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:24 am 
I'm including this tip in case it helps out because I did not find it previously mentioned in this forum.

On a clean install of R5.5, the lircrc file for the A415-HPG (Hauppauge 'dog bone') remote has "remote = grayHauppauge" declarations throughout the file which, as far as I can tell, result in that particular command being disabled. For example, my channel up section looked like this immediately after install:

Code:
# Channel Up
begin
   remote = grayHauppauge
   prog = mythtv
   button = Channel-UP
   repeat = 3
   config = Up
end

With this configuration, the Channel Up button did not function while watching Live TV. When I noticed that the Channel Down section did not have the "remote=..." line, I commented it out like so:

Code:
# Channel Up
begin
#   remote = grayHauppauge
   prog = mythtv
   button = Channel-UP
   repeat = 3
   config = Up
end

and then restarted lircd with sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart. The Channel Up button started working right away! I'm now experimenting with the other "remote = grayHauppauge" lines in the lircrc to see if those buttons will now function as intended. I'll also check the mythtv.org site to see if this is already filed as a bug, and if not file one. Yay for me!

Edit: I can't find the A415-HPG file in the MythTV Trac anywhere, just the Hauppauge Grey Remote example lircrc in /mythtv/contrib/config_files/lirc. Can someone point me in the right direction so that I know if a ticket needs to be submitted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:53 pm 
Site Admin
I'd think you could just open an ticket and contribute the lircrc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:02 pm 
cecil wrote:
I'd think you could just open an ticket and contribute the lircrc.

I could, but since the lircrc seems to be auto-generated during initial install and setup, I'm not sure if the example files directory is the right place to file the trac. I'll take another look around and see which area seems to make the most sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:51 am 
A415-HPG is the silver remote IIRC. See the lirc configs I've posted for ones that work with both the grey and silver remotes with uniform button mappings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
DoomedTX wrote:
I could, but since the lircrc seems to be auto-generated during initial install and setup, I'm not sure if the example files directory is the right place to file the trac
Opening a ticket w/ MythTV for a contrib has nothing to do with what sample file we include w/ KnoppMyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:48 pm 
cecil wrote:
Opening a ticket w/ MythTV for a contrib has nothing to do with what sample file we include w/ KnoppMyth.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood how the lircrc came about...I thought it was being generated on the fly when I selected my brand of remote. Since I selected the correct brand and didn't get a working lircrc, I guess that's a bug in the sample file included with Knoppmyth.

The odd thing is that in searching for anyone else who experienced the same issue, I find that the "remote = grayHauppauge" lines are present in many posters' lircrc files, yet that doesn't seem to be disabling anyone else's commands.

Rather than just submitting my own lircrc as an example, I was hoping to correct the default one used when the user selects A415-HPG during initial install. If there's no appropriate place to do that then we can just close this topic and archive it in case someone else experiences the same problem on a clean install. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 pm 
I also had a problem with this. Thanks for posting!!